Rufus

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by vze2mp9g, Apr 30, 2015.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello everyone!

I am using Rufus (Rufus is a utility designed to create boot devices. This is helpful when the user wants to format or launch the PC without installing OS.) using the default settings and I'm using a Windows 8.1 ISO. When completed and I attempt to boot from the USB flash drive, I receive the following error:

This is my computer info:
    If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Lastly, is there a utility similar to rufus that will allow me to boot off a USB flash drive and I can choose from a list of OSes so I can install any version of Windows. I would appreciate any and all assistance concerning this matter.

THANKS! o_O

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You should change the Title to Rufus!

If you don't know how to do that, open/edit your Post and use the Advanced Editor, here you could change the title!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    About Step 4:
    For UEFI now is NOT compulsory to have a FAT32 filesystem, also you can use NTFS for install.wim/install.esd or any other file larger than 4GB.
    Obviously on Rufus 2.1 and later.

5. joshieecs

joshieecs MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2014
    #6 joshieecs, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Refus! Haha. :rolleyes::D

If you want to make a multi-installer, it's really outside the scope of Rufus. You can try RMPrepUSB or Easy2Boot, but they take some effort to configure. The information necessary is on their websites, but the content layout is not intuitive. Easy2Boot is specifically designed so that you can simply "drag and drop" your installer ISO's onto a pre-configured USB drive, you pick one from a menu at boot, and they will automagically work. But the devil is always in the details. It's a all based on the grub4dos platform. Good way to waste a day or weekend, worth checking out.

6. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    press F2 ?? while powering on,
    Select Security -> Secure Boot, and "disable" Secure Boot
    reboot and see if USB is option in boot menu

7. BigReds

BigReds MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    Personally I always use the 2 partition method to comply with fat32 for UEFI boot and NTFS MBR boot using bootice.
    I have made a basic PIC tutorial for my own x86/x64 AIO's I make if anyone is interested at kickass.to/user/BigReds/album/70322/

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    might give Rufus a run then BigReds, it now supports UEFI with NTFS. No more larger than 4GB wim issues as Mr.X mentioned.

9. BigReds

BigReds MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    I have not tried the latest version of rufus yet and will have to give it a go to see how it works.

10. Bluesalt

Bluesalt MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2015
    Another nice avatar,like it:biggrin: