Run an activated Win7 with disabled "Software Protection" Service?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by thomaz, Jan 25, 2022.

1. thomaz

thomaz MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2011
    Hey, i activated a win7 copy (daz) and after that i disabled the "Software Protection" service.
    Then i watched Computer/properties and activation status said "not available".
    When i reenable the service all is fine again and showed "activated".

The question is, can i leave the service disabled or will this lead into future problems?
    A small date test (changed date to jan 2023) was successful without any problems.

Any ideas? I dont like unneeded services to run in the background. :)

Also, is software protection the service which phones home and checks if win is genuine?
    So if its disabled and windows system accidentally gets inet connection (disabled firewall, etc) it isnt able to make a genuine check again?
    Maybe the disabled sppsvc service gives you some kind of extra protection against getting "busted"?

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Leave the service alone, it checks activation status and product policies. Without it, Windows reverts to non-activated mode after a while.

Daz-activated machines are offline-activated (OEM:SLP). It won't contact Microsoft, as it is not an online activation and does not require syncing with activation servers. Even the Genuine check (something different) won't be able to tell the difference between a Loader-activated machine and one with true OEM:SLP activation.
    For the paranoid, there's always BIOS modding available. With a SLIC 2.1 modded BIOS/UEFI, you don't even need the Loader to be permanently installed. Note that, as long as Loader exists, no machine has ever been caught.