run any app off a USB drive?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by wonkotheinsane, Jul 29, 2010.

1. wonkotheinsane

wonkotheinsane MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2010
    Hey, guys, do you have the experience of running your daily used apps off a USB drive?

Which is I am now trying to do. But I find that only portable apps can be run like that.

while some apps like MS office are not portably available. How can I do that?

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    you have to make them portable yourself. There are ways to do it, I have never done it personally but I know you can use things like thininstal and stuff like that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    There are also many apps available portable on the net and many sites. With a portable version, you can store the app on a HDD or external USB and click to run with no install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
  5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I am such a noob that the beauty of portable apps came to me only recently. Now my next focus of file downloads is virtualisation and portable apps. Thanks for that link. will try it out. If I can get some apps which I want to try out seriously and there is a portable version of it, then that reduces the need for virtualisation. However, still want to try out both over the next few weeks.

6. cadcad

cadcad MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Check yout PM box

7. wonkotheinsane

Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks, guys, there is really a bunch of portable apps available, but not with a MS office portable. So that is the point.

PM checked. Great site ! Thanks. I'll have a try.

Seems to come acroos a possible solution with prayaya. not yet tried. but seems to work with MS office as well as most other apps.

still to see...

8. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    :confused: Does the installation of portable software on an USB drive cause
    Windows to modify its system files (e.g., registry) on the computer?

9. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    If you have Office 2010 Starter Edition installed on your computer, I think you can install it
    onto an USB drive. I think there's a program called "Microsoft Office To-Go Device Manager",
    which converts Office 2010 Starter on your PC to USB drive. Can somebody confirm this?:confused:

10. wonkotheinsane

Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks guys. Still remember Prayaya I talked about?
    Get it fully tried

Basically,it is virtual operaing system that allows you to launch most apps and games off a USB drive BUT not officially claimed any app and game.

To use it, you first install it on a removable device like USB drive, iPOd, or mobile HDD, or even your hard disk(I did not try it, but it seems ok.). And then you can install ware from Prayaya V3 platform.

In my opinion, it virtualizes a new Windows OS, which makes it possible for installing and running apps, managing files, desktops etc.

A few apps and games that I have tried on it: Firefox, Opera, Safari, MS office, Nero, Winrar, Virtual DJ, Skype, Plants vs Zombie, Icy Tower, Super Mario, Couter Srike, KM Player, Yahoo Messenger, MSN, Picasa. These are my daily used apps. And they work perfectly.

However, there are some that seems not working on it like Google Chrome, PhotoShop, Coreldraw.

Also I found that Prayaya V3 seems to write registry into USB but not a host computer. I think that is why it can launch so many apps and games. a good advantage is that not any trace will be left on a computer if you run it off a USB drive.

Generally, I think it is a cool ware that is worthy of a try. I like its cool interface, cool feeling switching between two systems, two desktops. However, if you just want to run common apps off a USB drive, I think PortableApps.com is enough for you. If you want to go furthur, Prayaya V3 is a good try.
    the website is here: prayaya.com