"Run as Administrator" Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Apr 7, 2017.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #1 MonarchX, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    My user account is administrative, although its not THE Administrator account that needs enabling before it can be used.

Here's what I know - with UAC Enabled at lowest setting/value:
    - Double-click with left mouse button = Run as User (Not as Admin)
    - Right-click and select Run as Admin = Run as Admin

With UAC Disabled (AFAIK):
    - Double-click with left mouse button = right-click and select Run as Admin = Run as Admin

For almost all cases, that is how it works and I Have no problems running .exe files As Admin. However, there are quite a few .CMD and .BAT tweak files out there that work for others, but for me they produce the "Please run this file/command/.exe as Administrator" error. I think most of these .BAT and .CMD files perform verification of permissions of certain files or directories, like System32, to determine if the user has Admin priverlages and if not, then that error is displayed. Here is an example of a command that results in the "Please run as Admin" error for me:

I enabled Take Ownership in Context Menu and used it only once for Scheduled Tasks. I have not removed or disable anything that would break the system. Here's what bothers me:
    1. Why can I run all other programs As Admin without problems, but not these .bat files?
    2. If in reality I DO run CMD As Admin, then why are my elevated rights not registering?

I was doing some digging and some say that there is a difference between running As Admin and running As Admin with elevated priveralges... I am a newbie at this and would like to learn what the difference is and how to solve the problem...

2. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Holy hell! I activated THE Administrator mode, loaded it, but it "net.exe session >nul 2>&1" still says I have NO ADMIN PRIVELAGES! I then ewnt and did Take Ownership of the entire drive C, rebooted, and guess what? "net.exe session >nul 2>&1" still says I have no Administrative privelages! WTH is this garbage?

3. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Did u enable the metro app to work with admin account?

4. Dutchman01

Dutchman01 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2007
    run cmd in admin mode

enter net user administrator /active:yes

reboot and login admin account, now you can remove first account

5. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Yeah, but even in Admin account these .CMD and .BAT files do not detect it having Admin rights...

6. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    There a guide i made for adminuser
    here
    might run all as admin and use to run metro as another user to make it work
    didnt try it tho

7. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    No, left click will not give you admin rights. If you have an exe that requires admin rights disabling UAC will disable the prompt when you start it that is all.

You still need to run as Admin for net system to work whether you have UAC on or not.

You could either use a script that elevates itself or make a shortcut to the batch file and tick the "run as Admin" box.

You don't need to do anything with built in Administrator account or take ownership of anything.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Then why bother disabling UAC at all? You can just set it to its lowest level and it will never bug you, although it will prevent you from accessing certain hidden system folders like Program Files\WindowsApps.

9. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I observed this only in 32 Bit.
    I know in this example it's about my Tool but I saw also irritations with other scripts if you run from right click as admin.

10. GlennChugg

GlennChugg MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    I leave UAC enabled due to the "issues" I faced when trying to do things on my system with it disabled, instead of getting errors or warnings or ANYTHING AT ALL, I got noting, double clicking a .exe that required admin would not run for me no matter what I tried, so I enabled UAC, rebooted and when I ran the same .exe it asked if I wanted it to run and I clicked yes, away it went, I even then tried disabling UAC again without rebooting and it still failed to run the .exe, so in some cases you may think UAC is a pain, but disabling it isn't always a choice, just set it to low (2nd up from the bottom) and deal with how annoying it is and avoid exiting apps (just leave them running).

11. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Dont disable UAC in Windows 10 [it can be disabled in 8 without issue], its not worth all the hassle it can cause. I always set it one notch up from the bottom on the slider. The problem is that it is still working when it appears disabled, it will block some actions but you will not be notified. Now we also have Smart Screen sticking its nose in:mad: