Run Windows 8.1 Enterprise on PowerEdge 2950?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JBenal, Aug 7, 2016.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I searched the forums and didn't see an answer to this question. Can you run Win 8.1 Enterprise on a Dell PowerEdge 2950? I'll be getting one free and don't want to mess with the complexities of Windows Server. It will be used for simple file sharing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #2 ofernandofilo, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Sure. Your only need is to find drivers for that.

But you always can use Server or Workstation OS in Server or Workstation machines. No trouble at all.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HrVr000

HrVr000 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    I think you can install windows 8.1 on that server but not sure about all drivers, probably drivers from windows server 8 will do for 8.1 they are not to much diffirent.
    but anyway is it not simpler install Ubuntu (14.... , 15....,16...) and instal Samba file server and you dont need worry about drivers.... and is not dificult to configure samba

4. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Good idea. I do need to run one Windows application full time, but I could run it in a VM.

5. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    The PE 2950 has an ATI ES1000 graphics chip in it. You won't be able to find drivers for it. I've spent lots of time trying to find ones so I can run 2012 R2 on resolutions higher than 1280x1024. Other than that it will work fine.

6. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Thanks. I'll be running it headless and connecting with RDP. Getting it tomorrow! :D

7. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    I would still run Server 2012 R2 on it and enable Hyper-V (or as another posted suggested some Linux Distribution)

Server 2012 will give you less headache with drivers and can be SLIC 2.3 modded.

Servers don't have to be complicated. You don't need to use features your not using, so no need to be a domain controller etc.

8. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    The person who's giving it to me said it has VMWare vSphere (esxi?) on it now. I will probably play that a while and see about installing different OS's on it. My only concern would be that if I install Windows in a VM it would have to have access to the USB ports - or at least to one.

9. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Got the server, no vSphere - no problem! Win 8.1 Ent installed great and, to my surprise, installed every device. I didn't have to hunt for drivers. Great box, but loud. I have it in a corner room on a carpeted floor - under a bed. It's running at around 100F temp, which I think is not bad.

server.png