Running an app in guest account which requires admin rights

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ganons, Feb 17, 2014.

1. ganons

ganons MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Hi

So on Win 8.1 and have a portable app I want a guest user to use but it asks for password every single time.

1. Is it possible to change the permission somewhere so it wont prompt a password?
    2. If no the above, is there a third party app that can be used to give a specific app admin rights/or remove admin rights from it?

Thanks

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #2 Mr Jinje, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    @Mr Jinje

I think he want the opposite (rip admin rights of the app) :D

4. ganons

ganons MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Basically have Photoshop cc installed and have 2 accounts on pc, admin and guest. When Im not around I want others to use Photoshop but no in admin account.

So every time Photoshop is opened in guest account, even though it was installed in that account, it asks for password. So brings me back to the op

1. Is it possible to change the permission somewhere so it wont prompt a password?
    2. If no the above, is there a third party app that can be used to give a specific app admin rights/or remove admin rights from it?

5. WinterFox

WinterFox MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2007
    #5 WinterFox, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Did you allow access to the scratch disk for the guest account?

Or if you allowed access to a different drive set PS to use it in Edit>Preferences>Performance or make new small partition and allow access to it and set it as scratch disk or disable scratch disk in general

6. SlimRock

SlimRock MDL Senior Member

Dec 25, 2011
    unfortunately, not possible with PAF/Portable format. I'll explain how PAF works. There seems to be a misunderstanding..
    PAF is considered Portable ..but when people think of Portable.. ThinApp or other similar products come to mind. ThinApp/Virtualization has it's benefits...But for these types of apps PAF is better because of how resource-intensive Photoshop is..PAF runs live/naturally, as if it was installed, on your machine..enabling it to see and utilize the PC's hardware..This is crucial for Photoshop which requires a nice amount of RAM and compatible Graphics Card for 3D functions..

At Launch, PAF installs the required registry keys, imports the required files, where Photoshop expects it, then at exit cleans everything up..

unfortunately running Portable Version of Photoshop is not possible with guest/standard account because Photoshop uses HKLM branch, and CommonFiles directory. So, Elevated Privileges are required in first place.

7. roonibrice

roonibrice MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    #7 roonibrice, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    use take ownership registry works with it

8. SlimRock

Dec 25, 2011
    can you take Registry ownership from Guest/Standard account without admin privileges? I doubt you can't? :eek:

9. roonibrice

roonibrice MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    hehe i believe i can ;)

10. SlimRock

Dec 25, 2011
    :rolleyes: plz care to elaborate? This is something new to me, I still wonder how you can take registry ownership for Guest/Standard account without having admin privileges (without entering Admin Password)?:eek: