Running Sharepoint on SBS 2011 Essentials?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by boss1921, Jun 7, 2014.

1. boss1921

boss1921 MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2009
    Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has tried installing Sharepoint 201x (or for that matter even Exchange 201x) on SBS 2011 ESSENTIALS server. According to the MS site, it's not supported and should be installed on a separate server... does that mean it can't even be installed on SBS E ? Any workaround?
    Any ideas why they've made these limitations? Are there any additional services that would need to be installed?
    ...I think they recommended WSUS be installed on a separate server but I installed it seamlessly and it's running fine.
    If I were to install, it would be on a live server so I don't have the luxury of "testing"... and thus would be a weekend/off hours project so I'd like to get an idea as to what issues I may be running into.

Server specs: i7~3.5Ghz, 4x1TB - raid 10, 24GB Ram... serving 6 workstations.

Thanks

2. ssaeth

ssaeth MDL Member

Jul 16, 2009
    if you want exchange and sharepoint and wsus on same server get sbs2011standard essentials is normal a domain controller / client backup server and if you want exchange you need one more pc

3. boss1921

boss1921 MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2009
    Thanks for the reply ssaeth. I know about SBS Standard and has all the components that I'm looking for however, the current SBS-E server is live and used during the work week and downtime isn't really an option. Furthermore, I couldn't find any support documents for an in-place upgrade from sbs essential to SBS standard... or for that matter, anyone know if WS2012R2 Essential supports and in-place upgrade from SBS 2011E?