Ryzen not supporting windows 7??

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by spacednow, Mar 14, 2017.

1. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I don't get much time to screw around online much anymore, but from what I've seen AMD has caved to ms and say Windows 7 will not be supported with Ryzen. But when I checked on a MB that supports Ryzen they listed drivers on their website for Windows 7. So I can't see any reason not to use 7. I absolutely refuse to use 8 or 10. Am I missing something??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I had seen that... but I don't think all that is necessary. MB I was looking at has option to install drivers before installing OS. Probably just need to give it a try- if I decide to make the plunge. Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  4. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    This is only about drivers. It is necessary since there aren't drivers. Maybe re-read the article.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #6 Joe C, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Yes I know, but the OP made this statement:
    So I thought there could be another possibility that using the new cpu was going to be an issue, even though there can be work arounds in order to get Windows 7 running on a Ryzen or Kaby Lake set up there may be issues with Windows 7 actually getting security updates

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm well only my opinion users that buy new cpu only for run W7 :g:is one bad idea simply stay with any cpu more old and more cheap also of course ;)

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If I could recall correctly it seemed to be particularly about the Ryzen 7 1800k Processor(driver supports). However, it is time to move on from Windows 7 though because it is gradually being decommissioned and I wouldn't see the reason for modern processors to be supported as uses for the old operating system decrease.

8. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    It seems the announcements to drop of Kaby-Lake/Ryzen Win 7 support coincides with the introduction of on-chip 4K decode and DRM. No 4K Netflix on that brand new Skylake rig you just built 6 months ago. Just saying... :thumbdown:

Anyways, it looks to me like most decisions Microsoft is making lately are strictly business based. They gave away Windows 10 for free to millions of people and as a result have taken a substantial hit to potential profits. So now Microsoft is attempting to make up lost ground anywhere they can, hence the in-OS advertising, pushing their paid services harder, and trying to coax those still on 7 and 8 to pay for upgrades. IMO they've lost sight of their original mission, but considering their blunders in recent years, it's understandable how things have gotten this way.

From an enterprise standpoint, I can't see security updates for Pro versions of Windows disappearing until the projected end-of-life. If any manufacturer makes any computer designed for business using Ryzen, then it HAS to support 7 until EOL, or it will flat-out fail as a product. Though by the end of 2016, Intel had 85%-90% market share, so who in their right mind would roll dice to build an AMD business machine? Reliability is paramount and proven tech is always greater than the loss of business on troubleshooting the newest thing.

Also, if you're still using 7 and refusing to upgrade... you're missing some fan-f'n-tastic features they added. Maybe it's time to give 10 a chance? Always fresh install 10 and turn off some of the annoying features, and it runs like a dream (on most things... some older machines I have required adding video cards to get actual drivers to run smoothly). Almost all issues I've seen with 10 were on machines that were upgraded from 7 or 8.1. And after using 10 for a long time, 7 feels sluggish and unresponsive. I suggest you actually give 10 a decent chance and use it as your daily driver for a while. If you don't, you'll just get more out of date and continue to live in the past (looking at you XP people with your Outlook Express problems and antivirus that hasn't updated in 3 years).

9. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    fanfriggintastic features? i strip the tits out of 1607 ltsb. its gui sucks monkey balls big time. 17xx is going to be even more full of shyte. Lexicon pro audio doesnt even have working w10 drivers for my chosen usb audio interface. install w10 and a lot of stuff wont work due to no drivers????? or i could have a working STABLE AS HELL w7 that has been stripped to the tits and can get on doing stuff on, gimme w7 on ryzen now godammit :D

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    :eek:...Windows 7 yet a excellent O.S. I believe that using it a lot of issues simply don't happen;need only stay with open eyes relating to updates forget news cpu's:g:

11. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    the only reason i got 10 ltsb was the whole kaby lake/ryzen driver issue. 7 works great on ryzen cos it dont have the scheduler bug, 18% better so i have read. raven ridge apu drivers for 7 is still a concern. if they dont come, i have ltsb standing by and ready to go and i have enough experience with it shrink it with ease. 10 ltsb isnt that bad stripped and tamed and my results so far have been stable. i am covered no matter what happens :cool:

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @wazzock ok realy no doubt that versions LTSB is better than another myself used since version 10240 and NO issues but after a long study and search I can conclude that nowaday Windows 8.1 is the better O.S. for a lot of reason only whom stop and think can understand my reasoning note that this is only my personal vision :cool:

13. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    #14 wazzock, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    again, will 8.1 work on kaby lake and ryzen(and apus)? better to be prepared for any eventuality really. its not you must use this OS or that OS or you are an idiot etc, its what works best for you :) and sod the naysayers :biggrin:

a lot of chinese still use an abacus because it works for them so who am i to complain :)

tamed w10(especially ltsb)isnt that bad, you just have to know its faults to work around them :)

out of the box unmodded install is a no no. tame it 1st, then air gap the bitch, no networking or auto updates then its alright.

14. hemlatuyda

hemlatuyda MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2017
    What about Ryzen Linux support?