Safe list of packages to remove from win 10 home?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by David34, Sep 8, 2015.

1. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Is there any list on mdl of packages I can safely remove with the use of Install_wim_tweak in offline mode from Windows 10 home without having side effect, problems?

The more the better I don't need edge nor cortana or defender.
    I tried to remove myself as many packages as I could but later on after installing Windows I had issues with dism not responding to commands or problems installing framework 3.5

Thanks

2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #2 Stannieman, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    In general you can remove all apps you can see with dism /image:X:\mountdir /get-provisionedappxpackages. Only the app connector is a bit tricky as I think it provides stuff for other apps to "integrate with stuff", so removing that one might have a (non fatal) effect on other apps. Now, if you don't use any other apps then it should of course be safe to remove this one.

Apps not visible in dism are not 100% safe to remove. Edge probably is, but is just "locked in" on purpose to encourage the use of it.
    But Cortana for example... Will removing it break the rest of the search functionality? The settings app, I'd definitely keep that one, same goes for the notification center, which I think is a universal app too.
    Then there's the start menu, don't know if it's an app, but if it is -> keep it!
    I think the lockscreen is an app too -> very dangerous to remove it, you might lock yourself out.
    Feeback and contact support are safe I guess.
    Store should be safe as in not breaking things, but you won't get updates for other apps.

And I think that's about every app there is, so except for edge I'd recommend to not touch anything that's not shown in dism.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    #3 David34, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    (OP)
    @Stannieman what apps did you remove yourself without braking up things? Do you have any list?

I tried a list from the forum removed bunch of packages but things broke and it's difficult to try package by package installing and formating to find out if something got broken.

Aren't there any lists of packages safe to remove?

4. Microft

Microft MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2015
    Are you sure? Have you test enable directplay and netfx3 features cuz it broke those features for me after using i_w_t.exe.

5. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Not tested with DirectPlay since i got nothing run that, but NetFx3.5 installed and working properly.

The things that break depend on what package you removed. WimTweak don't just break things itself. For safer and general route go with the ToolKit. My script removes more feature components that is more of a personal preference while still keeping the OS intact.

6. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    @vuze4u thanks will try your script and MSMG toolkit

@Microft that's what happen to me when I tried several times remove packages FX3.5 broke couldn't install it anymore. Fx3.5 didn't break because of Install_wim_tweak but cuz of the packages I have removed.

7. Microft

Microft MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2015
    No it break the features after first time using it when i unhide the package not after remove the packages. i had tried it many times and it always happen to me.

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I removed everything you see in dism except for store, communications (= mail + calendar), music, video, calculator and app connector because I actually use those.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    @Microft I tried this time MSMG ToolKit and removed whatever MSMG toolkit allow me to remove and what happen is that nothing is broken and MSMG toolkit used Install_wim_tweak ;)

@Stainnnieman once more thanks for the info

10. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    @vuze4u just tested your list of packages on home 10 and what happen Is that the list is alright and all the only thing that after installing Windows, framework 3.5 won't install and media player disappeared ;)