Safety on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by svet6ma, Feb 7, 2022.

1. svet6ma

svet6ma MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2021
    Greeting you all. I would ask you for any safety tips for Windows 7. As I know running it my laptop can be more vulnerable than being ran Windows 10. Starting from updates, patches to Antiviruses. What is your recommendations? My laptop is old. I don't wont to load it much, but safety also needed. I have searched a little here but couldn't find anything.

2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Is it possible to mitigate Windows 7 security?

sure!

but since you don't want to migrate to 10/11 (and they have free official updates) have you considered using GNU/Linux?

I'm using KDE neon exclusively and I like it. it's user-friendly, and much of the use of a pc today is related to browsing. and you can have whatever browser you want here.

with linux you will have an updated and free system.

(I'm not selling anything. just giving you an idea.) I like W7 too, but I didn't feel like upgrading... I migrated to linux ^^

cheers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    Use BypassESU for updates until 2023 and you should be fine. Update your browsers and root-revoked certificates regularly and antiviruses in case you use them. You will be fine if you don't click on random ads saying you will get a free RTX 3090

4. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    Why not continue to use 7?

5. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    Unless you go full retard and deliberately download random s**t off the internet (or god forbid you're not using a adblocker) you have nothing to fear by using Win7.

6. svet6ma

svet6ma MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2021
    Thank you for response. I appreciate your suggestion. For now I may intsall linux as second OS. I have used it before on my old pc. It has many things you need, however I felt it not enough as like Windows.

7. svet6ma

svet6ma MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2021
    Understood. Ok, I'm good then). What about antivirus, I'm still thinking. This old laptop became very good after upgrading ram and adding ssd, and I don't won't it to slow down. Oh I see, this RTX3090 gift things)) Not curious))

8. svet6ma

svet6ma MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2021
    :D Good) Thanks.

9. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    You don't need antivirus real-time protection unless you click on random ads, so you should be fine regularly scanning with Clamwin

10. svet6ma

svet6ma MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2021
    Good. Thank you very much.

11. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    ms abandoned the product, my laptop completely broke (physical defect), I fixed my old computer with new parts, gpu, ssd, etc, and I thought it was time to stop using MS products.

if my laptop was still working... I would still be using W7 on it. but I don't intend to install Windows anymore, I think it's simpler and faster to download linux. ^^

cheers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. -___-

-___- MDL Member

Jul 7, 2021
  13. pappyN4

pappyN4 MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2022
    In addition to BypassESU, Simplix Pack also works nicely if you want an offline installer that doesn't connect to microsoft.

14. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    This so much. Simplix Pack is a MASSIVE time saver, especially if you're someone like me who very often has computers that need reinstalling.

15. ThaCrip

ThaCrip MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2017
    I suggest Linux Mint v20.3-Xfce (Mint v21 series will probably be released in July/Aug and will be supported until April 2027), which is supported until April 2025, as that's a way for you to be secure online and you don't have to do anything fancy to use it as you install it, run updates through 'Update Manager' (i.e. the 'shield' looking icon), and that's pretty much it. you can run some level of Windows software on it through Wine as I use a handful of windows programs on it with some games to.

I think that's especially good given your using it on a old laptop and your only using it occasionally and that will almost surely be safer online than Windows 7 and RAM requirements are low enough at 2GB of RAM but 4GB+ is recommended which is about as low as one can realistically hope for.

p.s. hell, the only real reason I have not entirely abandoned Windows 7 at this point in time is on the rare occasion I got to update songs on a Zune 30GB device which basically requires Windows 7 and to my knowledge will not work properly in a virtual machine either. so I just temporarily restore a Clonezilla image of Win7, do what I got to do, then restore the Mint image on my backup desktop.