Safety tips/tweaks for optimal protection of a Win 7 PC?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by happyxman, Feb 17, 2021.

1. happyxman

happyxman MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Hello,

I would like to know which are all of the safety tips/tweaks for optimal protection of a PC running Win 7 (with ESU of course)?

Please tell me.

Thank you.

2. markokk888

markokk888 MDL Senior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Well read about new discovered security holes, get rid of components that you don't use or if they have any security holes. Use firewall. Avoid outdated software. And you will be fine even after esu ends. I don't see any major security reasons to not use win 7, if in the system after esu will be found major security holes in a system kennel level then yeah you can say bye bye to 7 but I don't think this will happen anytime soon. On the other hand xp did have many security holes in a kernel and all around the system even when xp was still with support but microsoft didn't care much to fix any of that.. also the dick move was to leak source code of xp to completely kill it. Of course situation with xp can't be comparable with 7 it is much more secure system than xp and i dont think that ms will leak win 7 source, as long as everything will be fine with the critical components of the system, you will be fine. If there will be any holes in non mission critical components there will be a chance to somehow removing them from the system or replacing them with 3rd party, this will be a lot of work but it's possible, so far i still have some pcs with 7 and i think if something very bad happens with 7 i will move to linux or other alternatives, can't stand of using 10 they just broken beyond repair and ugly, feels like beta even today.

3. happyxman

Oct 22, 2020
    #3 happyxman, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    (OP)
    Thank you for replying.

I am using Kaspersky Total Security,and Firefox as browser with Ublock Origin extension.

Which other security related software would you reccommend me to install?

4. markokk888

Aug 13, 2012
    Well todays antivirus software is mostly bloatware if you ask my. if you dont mind to pay get norton, if you looking something free get comodo internet security. Mostly what helps is common sens, security can help you sometimes if you accidentally do something stupid, happens to everyone from time to time.. for a browser i like opera it has plenty of features, saves tabs have many options.. and yeah mostly it, don't download and run s**t from unknown sources and you will be fine. scan everything with virustotal and do monthly scans with malwarebytes but its overkill. basically keep your system up to date, avoid m$ spyware and dont let any security holes to ruin your day. Crazy times for windows if you ask me..

5. happyxman

Oct 22, 2020
    Is Ubuntu safer than Win 7 with ESU?

6. happyxman

Oct 22, 2020
    Which are the advantages of Win 7 over Ubuntu and vice versa?

7. markokk888

Aug 13, 2012
    #7 markokk888, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Linux is overall much more safer, i wouldn't chose ubuntu, and if you are new to linux then prepare to learn and waist time because nothing will work out of the box as you expect compared to windows. and if you want to customize something there is much more options than in windows but it's for more advance than a average user. the problem with linux even with distros for new learners you will definitely run in to problems that can't simple be fixed and requires some skills and time.. as for windows it just works and if don't just requires few additional clicks to make it work, as with linux everything is different. Thats the true, for gurus or more advanced users the rules are different . the funny thing about linux that some of my friends saying that its nothing hard and its better, and if i come visit any of my friends that say this i see windows so its kind of a joke after all..

8. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Interesting that people says "Linux is safer". Free system with public source code is safer that closed one? I don't want to complain but if you have access to source code, security is gone...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. PiratePaprika

PiratePaprika MDL Novice

May 17, 2020
    :roll1:

10. flowerhell

flowerhell MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2013
    thank you mr gates, how has the security through obscurity worked for you?

11. markokk888

Aug 13, 2012
    I think that its kind of a advantage than a bad thing because security holes ar immediately spotted and fixed, linux has a large community, as for windows nothing is touching the code if no one discovers anything bad.. and as far as we learned with xp microsoft sometimes don't even care about security holes.

12. happyxman

Oct 22, 2020
    Any other helpful security tip/tweak please?