Samsung 850 EVO Slow Write - Magician says no

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by colsearle, Apr 4, 2017.

1. colsearle

colsearle MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2015
    I'm in the UK. Recently I ordered 3 Samsung 850 EVO 120gb drives from China.

I have benched the drives connected directly to motherboard sata 6 headers on a few different PC's. The read is fine around 550 but the write is only 290 on these drives. Samsung Magician fails to recognize them as Samsung drives.

Clean installs.... Does anybody know whats going on ? They certainly don't strike me as copy's.

Firmware shows as P0614D

Please Help

Attached Files:

2. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    There is missing the warranty sticker on the ssd. Probably it's not a genuine part. Open it and post some pictures of the PCB, if you can.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Before u open it.. Try with win7 and older magician.

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It is boldly written on the surface of the compactment as product of China not made in China. One would be very careful see to this as a first tier SSD from Samsung and I doubt it is. This should be second rated.

5. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Looks like a counterfeit SSD!

Did you order them from DealExtreme? I hope not!

I wouldn't trust AliExpress for a Samsung SSD, either...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #7 Joe C, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    I just opened a 250 gb Samsung 850 EVO drive just now and the labeling is a little different than yours, for one thing the "Warning" and actual size info with that "warning" is all in english, not sure if it matters from where you are, I am in the U.S.
    I got this drive from NewEgg and it does say "Made in China" on it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    For most of us who are not living in the developed countries we are used to Chinese/English labelling like that one in one of the OP images. I am a little surprised to see that it is not written as made in China, which is the usual labelling but product of China, which is questionable regarding standard of products coming from China. Everything over here seems to come from China and I know much about what a first , second and even third tier quality products from China would look like.

Nevertheless, he imported them from China and they are supposed to be labelled in that form but the product of China is a bit out of place and points to where those SSDs belong in the quality ranking of things purchased in or came from China.

8. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010

Directly from China is a red flag, especially DealExtreme!!

I would choose NewEgg or Amazon... Or at least a store in Europe...

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    What distributor did you get these drives from in China?

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012