Samsung Laptop issue [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by QuantumBug, May 10, 2014.

1. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    #1 QuantumBug, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Have a Samsung NP3530EC in my shop for repair,

Power on, shows GUI BIOS, screen cuts out but you can see the ink inside running out but the LCD is not broken, then the Laptop reboots.

Is not RAM, BIOS reset, not the HDD, no water damage.

I'm thinking LCD or cable but it shows display at boot?

Any ideas?

Regards, David.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. my2cents

my2cents Guest

Hi David,

I doubt it has anything to do with the LCD cable. It sounds like you are caught in a restart loop. Can you access the BIOS and view all the attributes? Can you boot into safe mode? Can you access the recovery menu? Have you considered a repair install? What OS is the laptop running? Did the customer do anything right before the problem started (downloaded a bunch of Win Updates, installed new software, etc). Any chance this could be a malware infection at play? Have you tried running a malware scan at boot via an AV rescue disk?

3. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Liquid seeping from a LCD could be due to a temperature extreme or physical shock. I don't know if the substance in a LCD is conductive - that could easily cause weird problems. I think a display replacement should be considered.

4. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    my2cents,

A hex dump showed incorrect data in the MBR, maybe a bootkit? Adding a test HDD and installing Windows - boots fine.

Regards, The Dev.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. my2cents

my2cents Guest

Hi The Dev,

A smart test move on your part!

Who knows at this point? However, I'm guessing a clean install on the original hard drive might solve the issue as well. Also, please consider Mutagen's suggestion when looking at a total repair solution that's right for the customer.

Good luck with your efforts from here.

my2cents

6. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    Changed over the LCD with a spare one that is fully working and in the same scenario the issue still occurs. Also after I reinstalled Windows I monitored temperatures for a while and no issues.

----------------

my2cents - A completer wipe with G-Parted and reinstalling Windows solved the issue. must have been the MBR or a partition problem.

Thanks everyone, this is now solved.

Regards, The Dev.