Samsung NP350V5C Semi Bricked with windows EFI Bug

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by john, Jun 9, 2013.

1. john

john MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2008
    Yesterday trying to get my laptop to wake up, it wouldn't come out of sleep for some reason.

So I turned it off and turned it on, but the light would turn on for a moment and some fan noise, but it would immediately power off again.

I kept of trying and after many attempts to start it I saw the Samsung splash screen, but it still stopped, I should add that it is dying before you can enter Bios.

I kept at it though and finally it started.

I rebooted it and all was fine, but then I researched and found out about the Samsung laptops with Win8 preinstalled (which this is) becoming bricked with EFI issues.

Basically the same problem I had except mine was only semi bricked.
    Anyway today I get up and again I can't raise it from sleep mode and so I turn it on, and it won't, but each time I try it seems to stay on a moment longer.

Finally it stays on long enough to show the Samsung splash screen, and again and again until it stays on long enough to enter Bios.
    Anyway this time it automatically enters the Windows 8 repair, but again it restarts immediately.
    I try it again and this time it actually enters repair, properly, I see that it mentions EFI.
    I select an option (I forget which one).

Anyway it reboots and I am back in Windows 8.

But dollars to donuts, if I leave it on overnight again I will have the same problem next time as I wonder if it will turn on.

At the same time if I bring it in for repair working they will likely do nothing.
    And there is no fix, so as far as I can see the only option is for them to refund me and I buy a non-Samsung or non windows 8 laptop.

Another options is to try and revert to windows 7 but I am not sure that is easy, nor sure to be free of EFI?
    I have not yet found any instructions on how to install windows 8 without EFI.

Samsung really needs to get it's beep together because another problems common with Samsung laptops is Chrome not loading CSS style sheets randomly.
    This can be fixed by installing some samsung software, but again shows that this brand has become rather slack after being once very good.

So I wonder if others with bricked Samsung laptops might find that if they keep on turning it on it might just get somewhere on the 50th? attempt.

John

2. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Nearly every problem i have ever had with a laptop doing something similar... take the battery out for a couple of mins.. put it back in and turn it on ;) works most of the time.

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    This is right Tito. i just wanted to give help finding an update for the machine. Due to problems occurring with W8 in relation to older bios versions, I just wanted to point that out