Samsung NP530U4C / No "UEFI Firmware Settings" option in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MataRatos, Nov 25, 2013.

1. MataRatos

MataRatos MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2013
    I have a Samsung NP530U4C, that originally came with Windows 7, so in MBR mode. Then installed windows 8 still in MBR mode.
    Now, after seeing that UEFI BIOS problem in these notebooks was solved, I installed windows 8.1 from scratch in UEFI mode. Erased HDD, converted to GPT, installed with all the correct partitions (windows does that automatically) and voilá. Everything is working fine, no problems whatsoever. I have a legit Windows 8.1, so no problem in activating it.

But the other day I tried to access BIOS hitting F2, to change a boot order, and I can't enter BIOS that way. Tried then the Windows 8 way, pressing shift while rebooting, entered recovery mode, but when I go to the UEFI Firmware Settings button, it isn't there. So, I'm having a hard time entering BIOS. Not that it's that important for now, but what I really wanted to know is why isn't there a "UEFI Firmware Settings button..."? Is it something that comes only from factory? Like its embedd in samsung windows image/instalation?
    I thought it would be a windows feature, available to all UEFI compatible computer. Is there anything I can do to enable that menu? I tried re-flashing BIOS, but still no go...

I can't post an image or link to show you which button is, but I guess you know what I'm talking about.

2. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    Did you update it to the latest firmware? If so, your bios may not support UEFI firmware setting.

3. MataRatos

MataRatos MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2013
    For what I've searched the past 3 hours, it might be that the BIOS supports booting UEFI OS's, but it's not FULLY UEFI compatible, that's why that menu doesn't show up. Now I have to find a solution to enter BIOS pressing F2.

When I get home have to try these:
    - Try with cold boot, not reboot;
    - Disable windows fast startup and hibernate.

There are a couple more options but I have to open computer, remove battery or RAM, and I don't want to do that until I really have to.
    Will post the results and solution.
    Thanks

4. MataRatos

MataRatos MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2013
    The only way that got me into BIOS was removing the HDD. Removing it forces the pc to go into a boot-loop, so it's constantly rebooting itself due to not having a bootable HDD. Then I only had to keep pressing repeatedly F2 and eventually I got in. Maybe this will help others.

Hoping that some day Samsung will release a suitable windows 8/8.1 BIOS...

Thanks