Samsung r40 problem

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by johnandchris, Oct 21, 2011.

1. johnandchris

johnandchris MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2011
    I have a samsung r40 which i have been very happy with for a couple of years now.
    Started to have a problem a couple of months ago where the batery would intermittently charge (when you wiggled the power chord). The battery was on its way out anyway so i bought a more powerful after market model (a 5200mah DC11.1v). At the same time i also bought a new charger (as the dog had chewed the end and lived!!!!) It is a 100-240v 1.8a input, 19v 3.15a output, 50-60 hz.
    I also as a matter of course changed the power socket on the mother board as this is a weak point on the laptop and a bit of the plastic had broken off My problem is this. The battery came charged to about 60% and runs fine on the battery. The charger powers the laptop fine, however it is not charging the battery. The light flashes green and orange on the front of the laptop and the info bar on the bottom of the screen confirms that it is plugged in but not charging.
    Any help would be appreciated. I am handy with a soldering iron btw.

I have done some research and there is a possibility that it may be to do with the bios, however i cannot find anything on updating the bios for this model. I am really stumped. Running windows 7 BTW

Hoping someone can help
    Kind regards
    John

2. flusher

flusher MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2011
    guess you have done too much at one time
    now you cant really know where the dog is burried
    btw about the furry, if you so good with the soldering iron then repair the old charger cable and try it
    it is the cheapest and fastest you can do because i think the problem is lying in aftermarket parts that your*pedigreed laptop doesnt like
    *if all was working fine before all the changes then there is no point blaming on bios, it barely controls the charging etc, mostly monitors values. it is mostly electronic circuits(charger->laptop power circuits->battery controller)
    imho

3. johnandchris

johnandchris MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2011
    Tried another charger, still the same problem (ruled out charger).
    I am waiting for my local repair shop to get a battery in. If that is ok then them i am stuck.
    Probably the motherboard. Can this be fixed (presumably the charging circuit or battery controller).
    Kind regards
    John