sATA 2.5" to ZIF IDE 1.8" (not the other way around), does it exist?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by johnye_pt, Dec 13, 2016.

1. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
  2. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    There are ZIF ssd's compatible with the good old magalhães on ebay. Also, if you are only using it as a printer server, a small linux distribution on a SD card should be enough. But for the cost of it, it should be better to buy a raspberry or similar that has better energy savings and performance for that kind of application.

3. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #3 johnye_pt, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    (OP)
    I bought a cheap Kingspec 1.8 SSD about a year ago just for the kick of it, but the improvement was minimal. My interest was in having a bigger, faster and easier to replace drive. I know I'll be limited to PATA speed which is probably UDMA5, and I'ill be using XP because I have a couple of old programs I still use. And yes, no antivirus! No updates! Security holes everywhere! Not worried about it :D

EDIT: forgot to mention that it has crossed my mind that the BIOS might only recognize hdd sizes up to 127GB, but I'll worry about that later.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    EZDrive or something drive overlay can make it work past limit

5. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    The improvement was minimal because the 1.8" SSD is slow and was the cheapest available at the time. I tested it with CrystalDiskMark in Windows 7 (because it has trim support), and it was a little faster than the 1.8" HDD but just a little. I have an EeePC with basically the same hardware which is much more responsive because it's using a 2.5" sATA HDD. I know the 1.8" is limited to UDMA5 but it doesn't come anywhere close to the speed it could be running at if it had a faster drive.

The purpose of this topic is getting help in finding an adapter that allows me to connect a 2.5" sATA HDD to the 1.8 IDE ZIF connector of the netbook. Any speed issues that results from that or whatever OS I decide to use doesn't have any relevance. I'm not trying to be blunt, just trying to keep the discussion on topic. I'll gladly post the CrystalDiskMark results if I ever find an affordable connector (or connectors) that do the job.

6. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #7 johnye_pt, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)