Sata question

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by lumpy4900, Apr 10, 2011.

1. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    A few questions about sata drives. I have a dell dimension 4600 and I just got a used sata drive. This computer will run sata but I know there are different types but thats about all I know about sata drives. I have all the cables to hook it up but hope some one can tell me if the drive will work with my computer. Its a seagate barracuda 7200.7 model # 8t380013a8 date 05506. serial #5mr293cj.
    Could some one tell me if this drive will work or how to find out if it will work. Also if I can or should run a ide drive as a slave.

2. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    if you are running 2 ide devices on the same ribbon cable, you can configure them as master and slave, or you can configure both as cable select. each drive should have a sticker that shows the proper pins to jump for each configuration.

3. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    Well. Put it in. The computer would do nothing but restart and say it could not start normally. And that it could not find drive. I went to set up and turned on the sata. It said on the screen it could be the computer was shutting down to protect itself from damage. So I am not sure I want to try it again. I also have xp pro installed that is suppose to have sata drivers installed so I'm thinking it should not of done that if the drive was good. Not sure. It was running before just great on the computer it came out of so I dont know. Just dont want to screw this computer up.

4. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
  5. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    I done that first. Would not see it. Then tried putting it in by itself and the computer would'nt do anything but reboot and give a list of what could be wrong. And yes, This one is one that is very touchy about change. I can take the slave drive out and if I forget to turn it off in set up it wont start. I dont really understand it with the sata drive but am a little afraid to keep messing with it. Just dont want to take a chance on it being bad and screwing something else up. A friend of mine that does this stuff for a living said he would test that one when he gets a chance and make sure its good.If it is maybe he will show me what I am doing wrong.

6. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    Not much more than a week ago. It came out of the same computer that the ram was fried in so I guess it may have been damaged also. My son in law work's with a guy that said he would sell me a 200G sata that he knows to be good for 20 bucks so I will probably try that and maybe have better luck. This one is only an 80G.

7. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    Not sure but I may have cured all my little random problems I have been dealing with. I talked to some one about a month ago that advised me to get all updates and all loaded after a clean install before I load drivers. So thats what I have been doing. Done a clean install of xp yesterday and loaded drivers first before doing anything else and then done updates and then reinstalled anti-virus and all apps. Everything is working great so far and much faster. I dont want to take it for granted that that is the problem but its the only thing I done differently. It makes sense that if drivers are not installed that things are not working properly that nothing will install right. So, could this be what is createing some of this random problems with drives and my computer being sloooow to respond . I have everything installed and running and all is working so far.

And yes I am thinking of just waiting and getting new drives instead of the old one's. Actually been just thinking of leaving this one alone till I can afford a newer computer. This one was purchased 2003.