Save as Problem in Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by acyuta, Feb 28, 2014.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #1 acyuta, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Before I state the problem and ask for causes/solutions:
    1. I usually switch between 8 and 8.1 on a 3-4 day basis and plan on doing so for some time more.
    2. I keep a relatively clean win 8 and 8.1 image with only updates, disk management letters, store updates, etc. No software is installed except NVIDIA drivers (required for native resolution). That too only the driver and not the phyx, audio, stuff etc.
    3. On this image, I periodically (45-60 days) reinstall with all programs and that takes me max 2 hours so no sweat.
    4. My latest system was win 8.1/office 2010 and win 8/office 2013 (both with NVIDIA 332.21) built in Jan 2014.

The problem:
    1. Yesterday with the release of office 2013 sp1, I thought it might be a good idea to reinstall win 8/office 2013.
    2. So I restored the main win 8 image and started building the system.
    3. Installed latest NVIDIA driver 334.87 and then built the complete system.
    4. I keep videos in a dedicated partition called H, J and K and with a shortcut in libraries/videos.
    5. For many programs example firefox, vlc, convertxto dvd, imgburn; when I click on open/save as and point to videos in libraries, the program hangs and stops responding. I then have to open the task manager, close the software and then do the below:
    6. This is not a problem if I point open/save as to the drive letter (H, J, K)

Any thoughts/solutions as to why this might be occuring and any solutions.
    If it helps, the older win 8/office 2013 image did not have this problem or it happened maybe once in 20-25 instances. Now I am getting this problem in maybe 90% of all instances.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If you have a lot of videos in your save-as folder, it may be trying to scan them for thumbnails and other information.
    Did you try this on a separate folder to see if it happens there as well?

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #3 acyuta, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    (OP)
    I did not check on this (eg save as in docs, pics, music), but this is a more frequent problem on yesterday's install than on the earlier Jan 2014 (and earlier installs). Plus, if I recall, even earlier it used to happen only on videos folder.

My videos folder is not pointed at TBs of data but rather at GB of data. It would have folders for torrent downloads, and some torrent movies that I have downloaded but not deleted (because I have not seen those yet). I would say at present it directs to less than 50GB of data and even when it has >100GB, it was not a frequent problem.

When one gets this problem, one tries to guess what could have caused this: could it be the nvidia driver (334.87). 332.21 did not have the problem or could it be a registry corruption. Cannot do much about registry??

The hard solution is to spend another 2 hrs on rebuilding the system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I think this might have to do with the security settings for the H: drive. I suggest change ownership to Administrator and let the system change the security settings for all of the files in that partition.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I think I will try that though it seems unlikely that it may cause the problem to go away.
    Perhaps tomorrow I will redo everything but first check on this problem with the problem causing software so as to save me time, and keep the NVIDIA 334.87 for last.