Save or Backup Win 8.1 upgrade ISO file downloaded by system during upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by typek, Oct 19, 2013.

1. typek

typek MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    I've just upgraded from win8 to win 8.1 using the windows update (store), my questions are :

1. Can the ISO file that was automatically downloaded by the system during windows 8 upgrade to 8.1 be saved or backed up? the download was about 2.6 GB.

2. If so can the backed up file be used to do a "clean install" in future on the same machine?

:eek::eek:

2. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    Yes but you need to backup the download before you restart your computer to apply the upgrade as it will delete the files after the upgrade

3. typek

typek MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    @ ambidav

Ouch :p Yep, I'm got, pretty sure I am waaaaay past the "restart your computer", I've probably shut down and power up twice already. Thanks for the info ambidav.

In case I had to do it all over again on other computers, what/where is the file location?

4. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
  5. typek

typek MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    @ ambidav

:flowers::flowers: Thanks a lot, I'm helped.

6. scorp81

scorp81 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2012
    Is there a way to use these files to upgrade existing win8. The path followed is
    Win8 x64 kms activated using generic key -> Generic WMC key installed -> Tried to update this installation with the files in $Windows.~BT folder. Setup asks for a product key and is not accepting any key.

Any information is helpful.

Thanks in advance.

7. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Online Upgrade.. No
    Offline Upgrade from boot.. Maybe, but you have to add ei.cfg file to skip product key

8. gonz621

gonz621 MDL Junior Member

Nov 15, 2012
    #9 gonz621, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I think you should use the second one.

As of what I did on upgrading an OEM installed Windows 8 Single Language via store, I waited until the pc says need to restart, and then I restart later and immediately copied the $Windows.~BT. It is a x64 bit so file is 3gb+. The contents of the folder is like the second screenshot of the above post. And then I grab a boot.wim from an ISO I downloaded from Murphy78 which contains an ESD file and with GA rollup-1 updates, same architecture and language of course. I made an ei.cfg file with EditionID set to CoreSingleLanguage.

Here is an example of the content of the ei.cfg
    Code:
    [EditionID]
    CoreSingleLanguage

[Channel]
    Retail

[VL]

Need to make ei.cfg because the generated install.esd will not accept generic win 8.1 install keys, maybe it accepts genuine windows 8.1 retail/oem keys, but when I tried to use an OEM key in a vmware it still doesn't allow to install so better put an ei.cfg file.

I deleted some redundant folders before creating an ISO, such as: SafeOS. NewOS, Rollback, Panther, DUDownload.. etc. so the remaining folders will be just:
    iso root: boot, efi, Sources, support
    sources directory: dlmanifests, en-us (or another lang), etwproviders, inf, migration, replacementmanifests, sxs, vista, xp.
    and deleted two .tmp files located in sources folder.

I then finally made an ISO using Imgburn. Tested it on vmware and is okay.

-credits to abbodi1406 for providing me such info in my thread.

9. BIG-BIN

BIG-BIN MDL Member

Aug 29, 2013
    hi , gonz621 :bye1:

Thank you very much for the help and valuable information..

then I have to leave only folder: boot, efi, Sources, support, and added: boot.wim Italian language

and in source folder:
    dlmanifests, it-it , etwproviders, inf, migration, replacementmanifests, SxS, view, xp.

right !!?

can you help me to find the link of your thread !
    thanks again brother ..

10. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Whew! this is so complicated. ahahaha :D I have to try this one though.

11. gonz621

gonz621 MDL Junior Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Not so complicated ;)

You just have to be watchful so that you can copy the folder before restart. And you just need a boot.wim from another ISO with same language and architecture. But the finished ISO will only be a one edition ISO. Just good for backup.

--I like your avatar by the way. :D