Saving XP Installation When Changing Motherboard and CPU with Newer

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by itsbinnice, Oct 17, 2012.

1. itsbinnice

itsbinnice MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    Newbie here, I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

My nephew who lives in a different state is shipping his PC to me, the motherboard has gone bad.
    I can still get it to boot but abnormal shut downs are occurring and I’ve read this is a common problem with that motherboard.
    It has a Gigabyte GA-H55 USB3 LGA1156 motherboard with an Intel 13/530 Clarksdale processor.

I will be replacing the mobo with a MSI Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, and an Intel i5/2550 Ivy bridge processor.
    I realize if I boot, XP will crash since it’s looking for the drivers for the old mobo and processor.

I have read by using XP’s original install disk I can do a repair installation and it may save most of the original installation.
    I have also read by using the Sysprep.exe file extracted from the original CD (deploy.cab), it will do a better job of keeping the XP install in tact.
    This is a computer I built myself so it’s not a proprietary such as Dell or HP.

USING SYSPREP.EXE UTILITY
    What I plan to do is boot the system up, then uninstall many of the existing drivers, then run Sysprep.exe
    When I run Sysprep.exe, I will Select Mini-Setup, PnP, and then Reseal. The PC should shut down when complete.

I will then replace the Mobo and CPU. I will have the new drivers ready on the CD that comes with the Mobo.

What I need to know is what drivers should I uninstall before using Sysprep.exe, or none at all since Sysprep.exe will remove them.

I know a fresh XP install is probably the wisest thing to do but I just don’t have the time or patience to do it right now.
    Kindly offer your advice if my plan sounds like a sound one or I need to do something else.

2. sarlej

sarlej MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2012
    You wrote all what you need to do.
    "run Sysprep.exe, I will Select Mini-Setup, PnP, and then Reseal" will do the trick and after boot you will be prompted for drivers.