SBS2003 converting Retail to OEM

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ZaForD, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi Guys,

I'm trying to do an install of SBS2003 (OEM), but the First CD appears to be damaged. :(

I modded the 'setupp' and 'winnt' files from my MSDN image to work with the OEM CD Key, which installs 2003 Server OK, but the SBS part is still looking for a Retail CD Key. :eek:

Anyone got a solution for this.

Thanks Guys. :cool:

p.s. Do I just slipstream SP2 into the First CD ?

2. tom4.1

tom4.1 MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
  3. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    [Solved]

Hi tom4.1,

Thanks for trying to help :)
    But the problem I was having was down to the applications that are part of SBS, and not Win2K3 itself.
    Plus, I must have the OEM strings and installation files right, or i'd never have got to this stage. :D

For those that are interested.
    I was able to read most [around 90%] of the disk with a really old SCSI 1x CD Re-Writer. I then replaced the damaged/missing files with those from my MSDN version.

As for added SP2:
    I did a normal slipstream into the extracted SBS2003 CD1 and burnt it to disk.
    This worked fine for the basic install, although a few of the other disks stopped in the middle of the installs looking for specific files. Pointing the installer to the extracted SP2 files solved this. :)

4. tom4.1

tom4.1 MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
    #4 tom4.1, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    Slowly catching up

Double post

5. tom4.1

tom4.1 MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
    #5 tom4.1, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    I have used alchol120 and others trying to read and repair images, not always having a lot of luck. I find power ISO has helped and resulted in reliable bootable images but this is going a bit of subject.

Yes, as you have realised I am not up with it regarding server.

Still working to get my head around the problems with nlite-ing sp2 into Server r2 Ent ..
    A thread I found previous surgests a "required?" method but I do not get it yet, a bit to learn if this is still the case.

I found Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 is in two forms, ISO and a version of SP2 if you need to deploy it to multiple servers over a network.
    Is the "network deploy" version complete for slipstreaming? I would guess the ISO version is the way to go but not sure?

Thanks

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi tom4.1,

Both the 'ISO' distro or the 'Network Install' package are OK for slipstreaming.
    As is the RyanVM update pack from your other post. ;)

BUT, I would advise against using any 'AddOns' or using 'nLite' [or any other component stripper] on a Sever.
    To me theres no point having a fast, lite server that can't the job. :(

7. graz19m

graz19m MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2009
    SBS 2003 Retail to OEM

Hi Zaford,

I've had the same problem. I found the solution that worked for me was to open setup.sbd (found in the same folder as the setup) in notedpad and then scroll down to the [Validation] section.

In that section is the line "Pid 3.0=pidgen.dll" change this to "Pid 3.0=pidgen2.dll" then save and rerun the sbs setup.

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi graz19m,

I managed to find a work round as above.
    But thanks for the info, its a fair better (and repeatable) solution than mine. :)