Scheduler tasks - disable all

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by AnimaliX, Oct 28, 2016.

1. AnimaliX

AnimaliX MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    With simple batch command You can disable all scheduler tasks at once. But is this good idea? I not using Win. Updates, Defender, Cortana, sys. Restore etc., but is there some scheduler tasks which are usefull?

Thanks

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Good question. Those I create are very useful to me, many of Microsoft's that report data I disable and some appear to be rather innocuous. "Useful" is rather a point of view sort of thing. On days when my paranoia meters pegs out, my useful meter barely moves.

3. AnimaliX

AnimaliX MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    Of course I mean system default scheduler tasks, not custom by user...
    And which ones are generally useful for everyone...

none? I dont know, but that cant be right :p

4. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Ive disabled all tasks in w7 with no undesirable side effects. I'll do the same with 10 when i start stripping the tits out of it. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    No it's not a good idea
    several tasks are critical or recommended

6. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    I'll go through the list in ccleaner, see whats what then trial and error. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Shouldn't you be the one best in position to decide what's useful to you?

Anyway, I am not using any custom scheduled tasks, as I prefer to choose the task and time ad hoc. This also apples to third party utilities, such as CCleaner, file back ups etc. As for system default tasks, I've only changed the update installation time to suit my situation. Of course, I've disabled all I didn't like under privacy, but most of these don't seem to fall into the category of scheduled tasks.

8. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    You can see em and disable/remove them with ccleaner. Or just empty the tasks folder. :)

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    You can disable them by disabling TaskScheduler service, you might notice computer running faster, but sometimes it can not be easily enabled back.

Well said. Like SMART monitoring, which will notify you, if the HDD is failing. Certificates updating or a new hardware detection.
    And lets not forget about the infamous MsCtfMonitor "keylogger", which prevents you from typing in store apps, once disabled.

10. AnimaliX

AnimaliX MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    I think there is no critical task in scheduler, because I disabled all under Win 8.1 before for almost a year and nothing bad happens :) ... but there are several maintance tasks which can optimize system performance ...maybe

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Only you can determine if that's true or not on your system. If you do determine some degrade system performance, please let us know so we can maybe try to enhance our systems too..