School me a bit on networking

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Bagher, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Bagher

Bagher MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    - If I upgrade from a 10/100 to a Gigabit ethernet card, does the router have to be gigabit compatible or does it not matter?

- In terms of wireless, is is true that if you run mixed mode (b/g as opposed to just g) it is slower?

- My FIOS actiontec router is only wireless G but my laptop has a wireless N card. I can't replace the router, is the only option to buy a second router with wireless N to add on and disable wireless in the FIOS router?

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    -unless you have a 20 year old router, all routers are compatible.
    So that's irrellevant.

-running in mixed mode means the speed will be that of the slowest network device connected. So if the client has a 802.11b nic, you will have only a speed of 11Mbit/sec.
    So better to run in g-mode (54Mbit/sec) or n-mode if your devices (such as laptop) support it.

-yep. that's the only way. If the router only supports g, the client will also run in g-mode.

3. Bagher

Bagher MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    cool, thanks

since the iphone is wireless G, would it be better to run two wireless networks, a G with my current FIOS router, and a second wireless network with the new N router running only N?

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    If you think the extra speed is worth the money, maybe...

I personally don't think it's worth it, cause the extra speed you gain isn't that big. N-routers cover a bit more ground also, but unless you have to cover an area of 200 feet or more, that's also unnecessary.

5. OmniBlade

OmniBlade MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Regarding the 10/100 upgrade to Gigabit, it will make a difference if your switch is only 10/100 since the gigabit card will only be able to talk to the switch (and thus everything else connected to it) at 100mbit, defeating the point of using a gigabit card.