Screen scrambling in Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by eatup, Jan 19, 2015.

1. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    I get screen scrambling in Windows 7 almost everyday. I don't know what causes it, but I'm guessing something must have tripped the DRM system. It occurs randomly, but can happen as fast as a few minutes after a boot, to several hours of usage.

What my screen looks like during scrambling is if you've ever had an old CRT monitor, it looks like it's trying to show an unsupported screen resolution. The interesting part is that it's somehow correlated with the mouse pointer. If I move the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen, I can sometimes get the scrambling to stop. Soon as I move it up, the scrambling restarts. Also, scrambling is worst on the part of the screen right below the mouse pointer.

I've encountered this before at around Vista launch. I've always thought that it was a driver related issue. But, by the time Win 7 was released two years later, this should have been resolved, but didn't, which led me to think DRM system being tripped as Vista was the beginning of implementation of such DRM system. I'm usually doing things like surfing the web when this happens. Not even trying to play video illegally, etc.

Anyways, if anyone else has a similar symptom of scrambling screen on their PC laptop, how did you manage to permanently fix it?

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    It sounds like a faulty video card...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    #3 eatup, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    (OP)
    It's not the video card nor display. I've had this same exact scrambling happen on three different laptops with different video cards. Which is why I'm led to believe the DRM mechanism (or protected video path, as Microsoft calls it) being accidentally tripped each time it happens...

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If it were "DRM" then playback of content would not work/play. It would not scramble your screen.
    I still think it sounds like bad ram on your video card. Get Burnintest & try testing the video ram for errors...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    This screen scrambling is clearly not a hardware issue but an OS issue, since it's happened to me on three different laptops...

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Did you use the same ISO/DVD on all of that machines for installation?

7. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nope. I also got scrambling screen first time I installed Windows 8.0 upgrade. That was the last time I touched 8.0, but might retry seeing how the laptop manuf updated their Win8 drivers...

Same scrambling on three different laptops and diff. flavors of modern Windows, tells me its a DRM/OS issue not hardware...

8. locob

locob MDL Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Sounds like you or your machines are haunted!!
    I've never come across anything remotely like what you describe in over 20 years as a computer tech, builder, etc.

:spacecraft:

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Exactly. That's why I don't buy this DRM/OS issue.

10. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Um, no. When Win 8.0 was released, I installed it on my 4 month old laptop (not preview but with actual purchased license). Screen scrambled. Went back to Win7 immediately afterwards.

And... it happened today again, on a different machine than above, in Win7, after 4 hours online...

These kernel 6.x OSes officially suck. Back to WinXP I go. FYI WinXP has never scrambled screened on me not even once on all three laptops. It's the DRM mech being tripped when they implemented in Vista onwards...

11. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Today, I will try something different. I will keep a record of the screen scrambling.

Logged onto Win7 about 5 minutes ago...

12. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Yup. My screen got scrambled after I spent 15 minutes on IE11.

13. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    This really sounds weird. But what is more weird is the fact that this seems to be only happening to you??
    You say this happens on 3 different laptops, are they all your laptops??
    Are all these laptops running in your house??
    You did say you were going back to XP, did you get the scrambling on XP??

14. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
  15. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    My screen scrambled again 3x today, all within 20 minutes of opening IE11 in Win7. Maybe some component of IE is causing the graphics to malfunction in the OS. I'm thinking maybe the javascript engine of IE is the culprit, causing some kind of memory leak in the GPU...

Will try an experiment tomorrow where I'll refrain from using IE11 and see how the system behaves.

16. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    #16 nodnar, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    very fascinating.. if you`ll excuse me to say so... i had umpteen driver issues back in vista days, but never screen scrambling..
    the things that cross the wicked walrus`mind... shun ie11 for now.. i would try dillo, or d+.. since it has no java support to speak of.. and download winpatrol, plus kill anything in startup that you do not know.. or do something wicked and add a mousedriver from mouse manufacturer in config .sys, and see what happens.. even, even, now i am cursing in the church, of course, allergic as i am to linux, i would make a usb stick with that.. maybe it could kill your ghosts.. just my 2 cents.. ;)

17. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    Is this still going,different three laptops screen scrambling :eek:.I think you wasted a lot time doing nothing to the issue.Since there is no detailed diagnosis of the problem,it would be illogical for some of us trying to help.We need technical INFORMATION about the problem so somebody can help.

18. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Since post #11 he seems to be talking to himself and setting up a TO_DO list.:confused:

19. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    Really,I feel like I'm talking to myself.I won't post anymore since there is no response to what we say.

20. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    #20 eatup, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    (OP)
    Swapped in another HDD yesterday w Visual Studio installed in Win7. Screen went scrambly after a while, but took much longer to effect than with IE11 opened. They say XP explorer has a memory leak somewhere. That seems to be nothing compared to Win7. The whole OS seems to be a big memory leak, which is why I'm getting all these hardware problem(s) on the same dual-booted machine where it works flawlessly in WinXP...

I'll have to give Win7 a hand though. It lags more than WinXP, but doesn't seem to get my laptop as hot (better CPU management?)

Btw, what kind of feedback were you guys expecting when noone has a clue why this is happening across multiple portable devices?