Screenshot doesn´t work on Windows 8 Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ultimate_live, Apr 25, 2013.

1. ultimate_live

ultimate_live MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2011
    Hi.
    I have a Desktop with Windows 8 and when I use WINDOWS + PRINT SCREEN it saves the images in Screenshot folder into the folder Pictures.
    After installing Windows 8 on my Laptop, this function doesn´t work. The only way I can make a Screenshot is using:
    Fn + WINDOWS + PRINT SCREEN, but than I must open PAINT and save it.

I tried several ways to make the screenshots work, but nothing worked. It simply copies to Clipboard and I then need to use Paint. Clean install of Windows 8 and the original way doesn´t work.
    Can someone help me with it ? o_O

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Did you check with your keyboard layout if it is set for these rules or other shortcuts must be taken?

3. ultimate_live

ultimate_live MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2011
    How can I do this, setting rules and shortcuts ?
    Because on my Desktop I made nothing, only installed Windows and works fine.
    It doesn´t create any screenshot folder.

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    I assume you installed wrong keyboard layout during initial setup. Go to language, region settings and find if you your keybord's settings are done properly. Is it a standard laptop with US layout or did it come from elsewhere? Honestly I have no idea what comes off the shelves in Brazil. Check this first and if the error sticks at the other end, we probably will find it

5. ultimate_live

ultimate_live MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2011
    PaulDesmond.
    During initial setup, I selected Brazilian Portuguese keyboard layout (ABNT2), and also the Region (Brazil). It´s an Brazilian Standard Laptop (CCE) and Brazilian keyboard layout (ã, â, ç ). But on my desktop it´s the same Windows 8 (keyboard, region etc) and works.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    It was a guess because I had similar issues with a friend in Switzerland. The language is quite the same as German and we discussed about problems he had. He always mentioned that his shortcuts do not work but at my end all was perfect. Later we detected, that his Swiss machine had a different German layout as the one used in Germany. I didn't know this before but when he downloaded the Swiss language in addition to the German layout all went fine. So I was assuming that yours might have same problems.
    So, we need to wait for further assistance on your issue :D

7. Guides

Guides MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2014
    I'm also experience this problem before but with lots of other problem aside from screenshot so I decided to call for the help of tech to reinstall my OS.

8. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Personally, I'm using Greenshot.

10. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I still use the old fashion print scrn key...

11. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Many computers come with an option to disable Fn key functionality in BIOS settings. So look into BIOS settings and you'll find an option to turn off Fn key. Once you do this, you'll not need to use Fn key and all function keys will work normally.

12. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Some Laptop manufactures also have drivers that are specific to HOTKEYS.

13. norlyn

norlyn MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    Use a free Screenshot tool

I suggest you to just try using a third party tool like Free Screen Capture. You dont need to use Paint, for editing or memorize any keyboard shortcuts. This is very easy to use and it comes with editing options too. You can save as well save the image directly in your computer, or save it in the free cloud space provided and share it on social media sites. By the way, i found it on screeenshot.net

14. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    +1 to greenshot
    awesome app.
    way much better than native Windows crappy screenshot function.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Cheat-man

Cheat-man MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2014
    Yep ;) greenshot this is also a good decision ;) I was using this program on my old laptop.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  17. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Did you try only one button, prtscreen and then open paint ( or any other program you like) and paste ( or control v)? Best way to printscreen.

Lievre