screwed my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mr sampson, Oct 9, 2010.

1. mr sampson

mr sampson MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2010
    #1 mr sampson, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    i downloaded (Windows7 Activation Patch For ALL VERSIONS FINAL-RTM) then followed the instruction, and now it wont boot, i get a msg saying -

Booting 'Win7'

map --mem (hd0 ,0)/vstaldr.img (fd0)

Error 19: Cannot mount selected partition

press any key to continue

what do i do, am i screwed?

please help

2. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mr sampson

mr sampson MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2010
    well im trying to avoid reformatting thats why i can to this fourm. i was hoping that reformatting is to be my last option.

4. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    You can use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) to troubleshoot and repair the following items in Windows Vista or Windows 7:
    A master boot record (MBR)
    A boot sector
    A Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store
    Note When you are troubleshooting startup issues by using the Windows RE, you should first try the Startup Repair option in the System Recovery Options dialog box. If the Startup Repair option does not resolve the issue, or if you must troubleshoot more steps manually, use the Bootrec.exe tool.

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:
    Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    Press a key when you are prompted.
    Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
    Click Repair your computer.
    Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Bootrec.exe options:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

/FixMbr
    The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd
    /FixMbr
    The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.
    The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:
    The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
    The boot sector is damaged.
    An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).
    /ScanOs
    The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.
    /RebuildBcd
    The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Laptops not screwed..just the OS install..If you need to use a loader, best to install it yourself. The All in one installs are generally crap. Your "patched for all versions" is proof of this...remove the loader, repair the MBR and either add SLIC 2.1 or use DAZ loader...

6. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    strongly recommend Daz loader..and IR4

7. mr sampson

mr sampson MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2010
    thanks a lot, i will try this in the morning, and let you know how it turns out.

8. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    good luck then;)

9. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #9 WinFLP, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Boot off a clean Win7DVD, you should be able to try "startup repair"

If that doesn't work, start command prompt from the DVD (Shift+F10)

Type:
    Code:
    bootsect.exe /nt60 SYS /force
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr

10. mr sampson

mr sampson MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2010
    thanks for all the advice, i got it running fine now.

11. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    whose method did you use?