Script for Running Program

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BrokenDaily, Sep 8, 2017.

1. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    new at this, so what im looking for is to make either a .bat script, or a powershell script that does the following

script runs program A, then program B;, but if running this script and program A is already running, then ignore the "Start Program A" command and run program B

what would I need to type/copy in this case?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    I'm no programmer, but the script should look something like

test is program A running
    if A is not running then run program A
    if A is running
    run program B

now all we've got to do is turn this pseudocode into a script
    and test it

...T

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    #3 dhjohns, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Adjust for your paths
    Code:
    tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq notepad.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "notepad.exe">NUL
    if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" E:\Portable_Files\Notepad++\Files\notepad++.exe

if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="1"  E:\Portable_Files\Notepad++\Files\notepad++.exe | notepad.exe
    There is a command window which stays open with this. You can either close this manually, or as I prefer, make it invisible with a vbs script. I tested these file out on my desktop, so you will need to plug the correct path for your main command file into the vbs file. You would run the vbs file instead of the command script. The vbs file will run the command script invisibly.
    Code:
    Dim WinScriptHost
    Set WinScriptHost = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WinScriptHost.Run Chr(34) & "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\test.cmd" & Chr(34), 0
    Set WinScriptHost = Nothing

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    the programs I got are one called VDX_x64.exe, and the other 2 are console emulators (dolphin and pcsx2); this vdx program is needed for me to use a ds4 controller correctly (minus rumble support)

as for dhjohns reply, do I take the 1st code, and after saving it as a .bat file, save the 2nd code as a .vbs script, or put both in one .vbs script?

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Save the second code as vbs with path to your bat file in line three. Then you just run the vbs script. It will call the bat file.

6. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    #6 BrokenDaily, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    (OP)
    I tried the code I got, and for the bat/cmd file, I put the vdx in the 1st line and dolphin in the 2nd, no go, so I switched it, again, no go

am I doing something wrong, putting one line in the wrong spot or something else