Scripting a "send Windows key" in PE

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Atari800XL, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    I'm looking for a way to send a "Windows key" keystroke by script in PE (Windows 8.1 PE).

In normal Windows, sending this keystroke is no problem at all, lots of programs can do this (eg. AutoIt, AutoHotkey, etc). But in 8.1 PE, in PE mode (not OS mode), this doesn't seem to be possible. All other keys work fine, just not the Windows key.

If you've never heard about this, never mind, but if you might have stumbled upon a solution for this, please share... Sending "Windows key + T" would be a nice way to enable the taskbar in PE mode for Win8.1SE. See:
    http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1201.0
    I'm sure the developers at TheOven.org would be very thankful for any solution!

2. scripting

scripting MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2015
    I thinks this is very good idea , perhaps I think there is somthing wrong on the registry setting could you use the setting give it try and tell me

3. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Windows keys are controlled by Explorer.exe no explorer.exe running --> no hotkeys.

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #4 Stannieman, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    So you're trying to programmatically press the winkey? Can't you better call the eventhandler that gets fired when the hotkey is pressed? If that's possible with the scripting environment you're using of course.

EDIT: I see you want to enable the taskbar. Doesn't that basically mean you want to start explorer? I think that if you use a keyboardlistener, and start explorer.exe when you get the keycode of the winkey, it should have the same effect. Or am I wrong here?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for your input.
    The guys at TheOven.org have found a solution a couple of days ago. Read about it here:
    http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1201.msg14408#msg14408

It's quite a complicated solution, involving the WinIO library. But it works!!
    ChrisR will build it into Win8.1SE soon... (Still some timing issues to test/ work out)

6. scripting

scripting MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2015
    Really Strang , Idid't Think It Will Be aQuite Complicated Like This I Though It's Will Be Regstiry Subject , So :(

7. jgslemos

jgslemos MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2015
    Lookin for this... Thanks