Seagate Desktop External Drive, Expansion

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Carel, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I checked underneath the rubber pads, but found no screws...

However, I did figure out that I have to unlock some clips underneath the top cover. They are damn small, but I managed. The only thing I have to do now is highjack MSI for a 1000GB supporting BIOS for my MSI P35 Platinum... It only detects it as 100GB, but the drive seems to be accessing the drive absolutely normal. I can even access all 1000GB, after I booted from my Windows 7 DVD, it's only in XP that I can only see 100GB (when booting from the CD / DVD). It seems that the Windows Vista / 7 Install API can access the disk, even if the BIOS doesn't see all 1000GB. Windows XP's Bootable CD only sees 100GB... I hope the MSI techie understands what I'm trying to tell him, their technical support haven't proven to have very much between their ears when I contacted them in the past for some other problem. Thanks for u guy's help.

4. marcioscheibel

marcioscheibel MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    I need this to, how you open?

I need to open mine too, its identically to yours. How did you found/manage clips? where to start? can you post any kind of video or picture? my email is marcioscheibel@gmail.com if you cannot post here buut can send by email...

please, I really need to open it to try to save my data....

Any help you could give me will be appreciate.... I lift up a little the front part but cant see anything, and the rest of the cover seems to be TOO attached... cant lift up

THANK YOU!

5. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    When I had to open my Seagate Desktop Drive, I had to force it open & break off the clips because there's no other way, even if you try to do it "neatly". The clips are placed in such a manner that it cannot be unclipped safely... Oh, and by the way, they are damn small, they break off easily. even if you are able to open it whithout breaking the plastic clips (which I doubt), then they will definitly break off when you close it again, so sorry, no win-win situation here, but I can recommend you to search YouTube for a video related to "How to open Seagate Desktop Drive".:(
    As for the Power Management feature, Seagate's engineers have really slipped up here, the power-off timeout is WAY too short / too fast. It goes into standby every 20-seconds... The thing that irritates me most is the fact that the power management seems to contain some sort of programming bug, because it sometimes doesn't want to resume from standby & then it makes my PC freeze (until I unplug it). The only way to resolve this would be to remove the drive from the enclosure & put it in a non-Seagate enclosure. Does this happen to you guys as well, I mean the fact that the Standby causes issues (it doesn't always want to wake from standby quickly)?

7. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    #8 starams5, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
    I don't like the power management feature in this drive, like you said it's buggy. It don't freeze my computer but I always hear clicking noises even when I'm not accessing the drive. Other than the power management feature I have no issues with the drive other then it being slow. This is my first external USB drive so I have nothing to compare it to in terms of speed. I wanted to buy an eSATA drive but I'm using all of the sata port on one of my computers and wouldn't be able to move the drive between computers if one went down.

I was able to speed the drive up a little by enabling Write Caching in Windows, but I started using hibernation again which don't agree with the Write Caching option so I'm back where I started. Taking the drive out of the enclosure don't seem like such a bad idea, have to give it some more thought.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. crazydude

crazydude MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    normally if you power it on with USB connected and subsequently disconnect the drive from USB, it stops -- this is sensible but what's stupid about the power management is if you start the drive without the USB connected, it keeps running forever. This is absolutely stupid and as good as not having a power management feature !

9. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010