seagate expansion 1tb usb

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kennyboy, May 10, 2013.

1. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    i hope this is in the right place. 1 i need advice 2 i need help please. i've got a 1tb seagate usb sata and what i want to do is partition the hd and put windows 7 on it this is what i've got at the minute.
    windows xp pro
    in1t1gnrkbx 2gb ddr 333 05-51-93 of ram
    motherboard p55800-vm\s
    150gb hd with xp on it.
    i need to format the usb drive because its got some stuff on it so what can i use to format it ?
    i have x17-58996 windows 7 plus rufus v1.3.2 and dazs window loader. what i want to do is put windows 7 on the seagate and then be able to switch from xp to 7 and from 7 to xp i cannot put the harddrive in the tower thats why im going usb way if i can. i hope i've explained it right what i want to do. so can some1 please tell me how to do it please. i think ive got what i need if not what do i need i've tried to format the hd but it would not let me because it said it was in use but it was not.so can some1 tell me how to do it please. and if i have the wrong things what do i need if some1 can point me in the right direction i hope what i've put that some1 can understand what i want to do.

thank you.

2. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    well im not sure if ive done this right i an just formatting the external hd thru computer management but im not sure if its fats32 or nft i think thats it ive been reading some threads on here so am i doing that right;

3. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    It needs to be formatted using the NTFS filesystem, if you are going to be installing 7 on it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    thanks for your reply how do i format it using the NTFS filesystem ? is there a program i can use or is it done thru windows xp computer management im not sure how to do what im trying to do. but i did hope i would have got more help here than i have.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You just right click on the drive in windows explorer and select Format then select NTFS. You should really boot from windows 7 dvd and select the usb drive and format when installing windows 7.

6. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    thanks urie but i don't have windows 7 dvd i only have this x17-58996 windows 7 plus rufus v1.3.2 and dazs window loader which you advised me to get in earlier post. sorry for sounding thick but i don't know what you mean by just right click on the drive in windows explorer can you please explain a little more and can i do what i want to as described in first post thanks.

7. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    i think i've got it, start/programs,accessories.windows explorer. got the drive F now formatting it ntfs hope thats write thanks.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
  10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Windows 7 setup will ask for the partition to install to.

11. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    thanks for your reply just reading how to put windows 7 on usb stick on ms store.if all goes well then i run dazs loader will that know where windows 7 is.because i don't want to lose xp or licence key well it a corp version what i'm saying it will not over write xp because i'm trying to put windows 7 on external hd.

12. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The Windows 7 setup will update the bootloader (where that is depends on your system). The old XP one is kept as a legacy entry (Previous Operating system).
    Likewise, Daz' bootloader will install to the boot drive root and chainload the existing one. Since it only emulates a SLIC (SLP 2.x) table in the BIOS memory copy it doesn't affect XP. Two reasons for that:
    -Your XP is VLK (Volume).
    -Even with OEM, XP uses SLP 1.0 (BIOS DMI information) rather than SLIC.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Of course you can use usb pen drive I thought you were trying to use rufus on the usb hard drive you didn't mention pen drive :p

14. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    ok thanks for replies as i'm going to put windows 7 on usb external hd what is the best way to switch from xp to 7 and back from 7 to xp.

15. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    well i don't know what i'm doing wrong but i cannot get windows on the external hd i've set the bios so it install on there first i've left and let windows xp start and tried it that letting it start then telling it to install on seagate 1tb external plus its nfts but no matter what i do it will not install any advice please.

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You boot from usb pen drive to start windows installation and select usb hard drive to install windows to.

17. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    so i go back into bios and select usb pen drive then switch of pc then on again and it should boot from there. is the right or can you please tell which way to boot it please.