Seagate ST1000LM014 SM11 Firmware

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Simple07, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    Hi,
    Does anyone have the Seagate ST1000LM014 SM11 Firmware??

4 years ago I bought one of those disks which failed after a years and a half. I bought a new one (came with SM28) and sent the failed one to Seagate, which was replaced under warranty with a (reconditioned) one that came with SM11 firmware, which I updated to SM16.

I hardly used this replacement Hard Disk, it was used as a backup clone in case of a disaster.

Few days ago, I installed it in my laptop to update Windows, but it was behaving strangely, I decided to wipe it and used one of the partitioning tools, but interrupted it half way, I used Seatools but it cannot fix it, and get input output error.

I noticed that when I check Seagate Firmware Finder page, the older (failed/returned) disk had SM16 as the latest but this one has SM11 as the latest???

I would appreciate if someone could give me a copy of SM11 in case SM16 is the not meant for this hardware and is the culprit.

TIA, Simple.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Drives are so cheap you should just chuck it out.
    Those reconditioned/repaired drives are always crap & fail...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    True, but much of the time the data on them is a lot more valuable than the drive it self.

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    Unfortunately, I had to stop the wiping process due to an emergency. I am aware of the need to update to SM11, but this particular unit has SM11 as the highest on Seagate's Firmware Update page, I updated it using the firmware of the earlier (failed) unit and it was working fine. The drive was installed inside the laptop and configured as AHCI, Parted Magic was booted through the USB.

If the device is added as a second drive in the PC where Seatools for Windows is installed, Windows Disk Management can see the device but it gives errors. Seatools can see it, but when I choose fix all, it passes the short but not the long!!.

When I try to update the Firmware to SM16, it says Device needs to be unlocked, but it passes all other tests!!!