Searching for May 13th Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 (POSReady 2009)

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by darkrats, May 14, 2014.

1. darkrats

darkrats MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Now that IE8 update (KB2953522) has been posted, I thought I might start looking for the one that was issued for POSReady 2009. Everything I've read indicates that it will work on other versions of XP. As the patch is only passed out to corporations with extended XP support, it's likely to be difficult to find, unless we find it on some obscure website or it is leaked to the public.

So far, I have found a few sites (mostly in Japan of all places) that mention the patch by name, and I found a couple of links, but they were dead. I'm hoping that someone might eventually post it in this forum. Any other forums that might be a good source to monitor?

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #2 EFA11, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. darkrats

Dec 16, 2012
    #3 darkrats, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    (OP)
    That was fast!

The first thing I learned is that they don't work with XP Pro (they give a message about wrong operating system) as is. I'm thinking that they need to be altered in order to work, or it could be that all the posts about POS and XP being compatible when it comes to updates isn't true at all. I'll get to play around with them anyway and that will give me something to do over the next few days.

Thanks very much for posting these updates, and especially for posting them in one file.
    Sometimes I can get Microsoft Catalog downloads to work and sometimes I can't.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. darkrats

Dec 16, 2012
    #5 darkrats, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    (OP)
    More great information AND downloads too!
    Thanks EFA11 and Tito for replying to my post so quickly.
    XP is my operating system of choice, though I have Windows 7 on one of my machines.
    It's really nice to have the support of other forum users.

Update: Difficult to install if you're running Symantec Endpoint Protection (all symantec processes and drivers need to be stopped), but otherwise installed perfectly on Windows XP Pro using IE8.

Again, thanks for everything. IE/XP continues to live on!

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    These all appear in WSUS with a new product "Windows XP Embedded" that wasn't there last month.

Now to see if I have any tools that will let me edit the target of a WSUS update.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #7 Myrrh, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I have found no tools that let me edit or even view the install rules for existing WSUS updates so I've been experimenting with something else: try to figure out how to make XP Pro think it is actually POSReady2009, at least whatever it is that controls what product it thinks it is when communicating with WU or WSUS. Kind of like the hacks that were popular some time back to turn NT Workstation into NT Server.

I built a new machine with XP Pro SP3, hacked the registry
    Code:
    HKLM\System\ControlSetXXX\Control\ProductOptions:ProductSuite==EmbeddedNT
    HKLM\System\WPA\POSReady\Installed==DWORD:1
    Subject machine then detected and installed latest WEPOS updates.

No luck duplicating on already existing machines, it will boot to a blank desktop image and just stick there.

Maybe this is fuel for somebody else to figure it out? I'm done. o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    You have to get it completely setup and running. Then shut it down. Mount the C drive on another machine, launch Regedit, go to HKLM, use the "Load Hive" function to attach (where X is the target C drive) X:\Windows\system32\config\SYSTEM and give it a name. Make the changes, then unload the hive, dismount the drive and put it back where it came from.

If you don't understand enough about registry editing so that the above makes sense, it's not safe. :)

If you're lucky, it will boot and WU will find updates that are applicable to Embedded.