Second attempt at Linux: Suggest me an excellent gnome distro

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ProudPirate, Feb 13, 2018.

1. ProudPirate

ProudPirate MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2016
  2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    I'm currently using Ubuntu Mate, which uses Gnome classic by default. I absolutely love it. Will not be using any other distros for the foreseeable future

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Would recommend Ubuntu Mate too, Ubuntu is best for new users simply for the amount of software and support available, but the gnome mod they made to the vanilla Ubuntu is a pos so Mate ftw!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    If u still looking to trying more, i would give try to
    Manjaro GNOME Edition (17.1.6)

i installed the kde version very responsive and stable after updates
    gpu is "hooked" with the system quiet good, imho

6. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    LFS then BLFS then HLFS then CLFS gnome distro
    legends :
    LFS = linux from scratch.
    B = Beyond
    H = Hardened
    C = Cross
    no one know your taste better than you; yourself. So roll your own distro according to your own taste and likings. meh!
    bonus i am from the KDE camp, you are from the rival camp. ennemmiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeez, kill'em!
    hope this helps.

7. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    recently install neon 5.13 quiet good , barley can reproduce the tearing problem even without installing the Nvidia driver
    still if its not gnome i recommend to try it

8. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Well there nothing or this so...
    10% from nothing is better then absolutely nothing

9. pdjordjevic

pdjordjevic MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2018
    I've used Debian for two years, I liked the stability of it. It has absolute support for Gnome 3, everything runs fine on that. I tried to switch it to KDE (Gnome was annoying me more and more), but then it started acting weird (too weird), so I abandoned Debian. If you prefer stability over cutting edge I would recommend Debian stable. Haven't tried the testing release. If you mind systemd you could try Devuan, haven't tried it but it says right on the homepage on their website: "Devuan GNU+Linux is a fork of Debian without systemd."

10. neo-alchemist

neo-alchemist MDL Novice

May 23, 2017
    Fedora Workstation is fully focused on GNOME. Red Hat, which sponsors the Fedora distro, plays a very important role in the development of the GNOME environment. You'll often read news saying "Red Hat developer 'John Doe' made improvements to GNOME component X".

But you asked for an easy distribution that will not be prone to breakage due to constant changes; therefore I must agree with John Sutherland (comment #3) that openSUSE may be your best bet.