[DISCUSSION] Meltdown and Spectre

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by scaramonga, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Isn't there already enough paranoia overhere? as soon as the factual info dries up the "theories" come out.

2. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    I will not write more on this subject. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's not paranoia or 'theories' about intentional flaws for wanted backdoors.
    It's uncertainty....how and which countermeasures to apply.

'We' here on the client side can just enable security updates and level 5 patches on Linux...and wait...
    Consider providers who are running servers. Servers used to authenticate customer accounts such as banking or huge stores such as Amazon...or google accounts.

There are different factors which come together and each of those providers running own servers with unique purposes has to work out a concept how to patch...
    Different factors are: CPU type, OS, different approaches which have to work together in a reasonable way....

I hardly believe a single client is interest of such an attack.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Now that manufacture's have (or almost have) new bios updates I'll do that again. I just flashed last month for the IME flaw... and now another.
    Then I'll get the M$ updates for Meltdown. I'm in no hurry because I'm hoping Intel will come out with something better to reduce the hit on performance, even it's a slight hit now... I know about that.

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep, for me this post is most inteligent and true that I already see this year sincerely thanks a lot :worthy::tankyou:

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This is a reasonable way.....well on windows you can only wait and apply what M$ releases...and what's the approach exactly they do not publish...it seems they have only isolated the page tables yet...

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  10. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #251 John Sutherland, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I couldn't agree more.
    I like the transparency of open source. If one is technically interested one can get detailed info.
    This time it seems to be of an advantage that google's Android has got an Linux kernel. Because of Google's interest to fix the vulnerabilities there is also a benefit for other Linux distros (kernel).

Well, usually new microcodes are tested a real log time before they get released.
    We know what happens if they are released too early....(random reboots Haswell/Broadwell).

Since I am still running w7 together with Linux Mint I've decided to let the w7 updates disabled and I do not apply any meltdown / spectre patch of the OS there. (It's only one for now)
    I have updated Firefox and Nvidia driver.....

Linux is my system where I also do banking.....I take care that it gets reasonably patched in a way I understand myself.

12. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
  13. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Mikorist: Nice! :thumbsup:

I can see many uses for a CPU like that. Image processing, Neural Nets and Digital Music are 3 that come to mind. In my younger days I would have already made a request for a sample. :)

14. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    I still don't see my MoBo there. :(

(P8 Z77-V PRO)

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yea the site hasn't been updated since I have posted the link at post #97...(still 5th of January)

Maybe the BIOS mod forum gets a revival after Intel has released the microcodes for particular CPUs but the mobo manufacturer won't provide a BIOS update...:)

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #258 Joe C, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Asus and gigabyte has new bios out, But after reading the MSI forum, they are dragging their feet on older chipsets and it is very questionable if they come out with any new bios for older boards, so far they are only providing for the X99 and 100 series boards and up.
    I have an old 1366 (X58 chipset) board and I highly doubt that they will update the bios for that.

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Scaramonga's links show that these board manufacture's are at this time only providing updates for the 100, 200, 300 series and X99 boards

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have the same socket and chipset. (P6X58D Premium) It's got a legacy core 8 AMI BIOS, not even UEFI...

But if Intel should release new MC for its CPUs they can be implemented into BIOS using MMTool...