Security icon in taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by daz2712, Nov 20, 2022.

1. daz2712

daz2712 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    I ran the Universal Media Creation tool and did an auto upgrade to windows 11. Everything seems to be working ok except , no matter what I do, I can't get the security icon to show up. The actual security is working fine in the background but no icon will show in the taskbar.
    Its enabled in startup but literally everything I've tried doesn't work.

Can anyone help as it's driving me mad.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Be nice and try to put a picture here of the place, which icon you are talking about, and it would also be good to know - what was the previous version, what version did you update and what version do you have now.
    And if this previous version was also one of the Windows 11 versions, then did this icon exist and work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\SecurityHealthSystray.exe
    Launching the application displays an icon? If it does, check startup in system settings for "Windows Security notification icon" or otherwise add the startup application to startup. Reboot PC.

Recall if the icon hiding policy was applied.
    Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Security > Systray
    Or similarly with some tweaker.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andrew Butterworth

Andrew Butterworth MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2018
    Windows 11 has the icon disabled by default. You can set a GPO (or via the registry) to get the icon back.
    GPO is located "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Security\Systray" and its "Hide Windows Security Systray". Default is enabled. you need to disable it to get the icon back.

5. daz2712

daz2712 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    I've done that and it didn't work

6. daz2712

daz2712 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Upgraded from Windows 10 21H1 to Windows 11 with the Universal Media Creation Tool (auto upgrade)
    Security shield icon in the bottom right near clock works fine on 10, as soon as I upgrade it isn't there on 11. The security is running fine but no icon
    I've downgraded back to 10 until I can sort this out

7. berr1sfueller

berr1sfueller MDL Senior Member

Nov 17, 2022
    If this key exists you could try : Reg.exe delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender Security Center\Systray" /v "HideSystray" /f
    Then restart explorer.exe to see if it worked.

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If You did so, it can be assumed that you chosed to "keep my files" and "apps", but this means also to keep the previous settings. The result is Windows 11 full of junk and inappropriate settings.
    There is usually nothing you can do to fix it. The only thing is a fresh clean install because this missing icon is not the only bug or problem there. Yes, You can try to Reset Windows once again, but keep only your personal files and nothing else.
    Otherways you'll be again on the same situation like now.
    Choice is yours, how You continue or when You'll do it.

9. daz2712

daz2712 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Pretty pointless having an auto upgrade option in UMC if that's the case

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Yes, it's true, however how to update W10 has been talked about for almost two years, and Microsoft warns about it even before the update from 10 > 11, that the settings and all apps don't fit.
    But such a method simply exists, and they did not simply ban it.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  12. daz2712

daz2712 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.2251) and upgraded to the windows 11 version in the Universal Media Creation Tool.

The second pic by the way. I just want the shield logo the same as 10.
    I appreciate the help Enthousiast. I would dearly love to make the upgrade but this is bugging me.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    So you upgraded to 22000.318 by an ESD>ISO converted ISO? Or did you run specific cmd lines?

14. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    You still haven't run the program to display the icon that I suggested. This will give you an initial idea of whether the application is starting up or something unexpected might happen.