Security Updates make Win 8.1 unbootable

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by doveman, Jul 31, 2014.

1. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
  2. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    What, that only happens every time I do those Updates? I don't think so.

When I'm feeling brave/can be bothered, I'll narrow it down to which of the three is causing it.

3. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    None of those updates are needed, regardless of what Windows Update says. They've been superseded by newer updates:

2922229 by 2934018
    2962123 by 2955164
    2964757 by 2962140

Check that those three newer ones are installed (without the old ones) and see if you still have the problem.

4. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Thanks. I have no idea what's going on here. I installed from an AIO ISO dated/named Feb2014 and was sure I had Update 1 installed, as all the guides say if the Start Screen shows the search and power buttons (which it did) that means it's installed. However, just yesterday Update 1 appeared as an option in Windows Updates!

So I've installed that and now I don't see any of the Security Updates I listed and only 2962140 of the ones you've listed in Windows Updates. 2955164 is listed under Installed Updates, so that must have been included in Update 1. I don't see 293408 in either place but Updates often don't appear until after doing other updates, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

5. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Just had the same thing happen installing 8.1 Update 1 Pro from a different ISO on different hardware, so it seems to be a common problem.

6. s0x

s0x MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    @doveman, might be unrelated but the issue you mention "The drive activity would cease for a while and then I'd just get a corrupted screen and have to reboot. I managed to get it working again eventually using System Restore(...)" would happen on my system when the AMD AHCI Driver was being used, since then I reverted to using my hard drives in RAID mode (JBOD) with the AMD Driver. No issue since then.

My motherboard has 790X chipset, SB750. Is the new and different hardware you mention also AMD based?

7. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
  8. s0x

s0x MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    From those updates, and to me, the one that would maybe cause the unbootable issue could be this one hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2930275.

I mentioned the issue I had with the AMD AHCI Sata Driver since you said that on the Intel system there was no problem after the same batch of updates.

Both MSI 990FXA-GD80 and Asus M4A785TD-V EVO are AMD based, as you're aware. Mine's Asus M4A79XTD Evo.

9. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Yeah you're right. I've done so many installs lately, I've lost track of which ones were problematic :eek: So yeah, it's only been on the AMD systems I've had this problem with being unable to boot after doing the Security Updates.

I recall when I tried the separate AMD GPU driver listed in Windows Updates, that made the screen corrupted and unreadable when it booted, so after restoring I just used the Catalyst driver package from AMD and that worked fine. With the Security Updates, I think it either throws up a BSOD error or just reboots before I get to see that and then after several tries, goes to Automatic Repair (which doesn't work).

So it seems there's two ways in which WU can make my AMD systems unbootable, the Security Updates and the AMD GPU driver.

10. s0x

s0x MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Have you tried it without installing this update 2930275? From the list you supplied previously seems to me the "only" one that would cause boot issues.

Also I'm not sure but maybe the WU AMD Driver package comes bundled with the AMD AHCI Sata driver? The default package from the AMD site brings "only" the display driver, HDMI, etc. The sata driver is bundled on a different package by them, if I recall correctly.

11. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Well it's gone now and is working OK but I'll make a note of that and try avoiding it next time I install Windows and see if that is the problem.

You might be right about the WU AMD driver package. Certainly the CCC one from AMD hasn't provided chipset drivers in a long time, if ever and it's quite tricky to find a chipset package from them, so I assume they either prefer you to use the MS drivers or get them from the motherboard manufacturer.

Another issue I just ran into is Windows wouldn't shutdown, just showed the shutdown screen with the animated circle forever. After reading around, I re-enabled hibernate (I don't use it so disabled it), disabled fastboot and then it shutdown OK, so I re-enabled fastboot and the pagefile (which I also disabled to minimise writes to the SSD, no HDD in this system) and it still worked. So then I disabled hibernate again and the fastboot option disappears from the Power Options settings, even though it uses swapfile.sys and not hiberfil.sys as far as I can tell. Certainly I can't delete swapfile.sys so I presume it's still using fastboot.

So I'm not really sure what the problem was but there's a possible solution if anyone else runs into it ;)

12. s0x

s0x MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Good to know you managed to get it working OK! :)

Never stumbled upon the shutdown issue myself, but if it happens I'll make sure to take those steps into account. Thanks!