(seeking) comprehensive guide on windows updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by avi smile, Oct 18, 2015.

1. avi smile

avi smile MDL Junior Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Hi guys

I'm seeking for a comprehensive guide on the subject of windows updates

on these subjects

1. what updates is recommended and what updates to stay away

2. how to download updates once and reuse it on multiple systems (of the same operating system [windows])

3. how to slipstream them into windows installation ISO's

if someone could please point me in the right direction or maybe create one:cool:

i would be very thankfull

thanks in advance

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. avi smile

Mar 1, 2015
    thanks for the reply

about the question for which version of windows i didn't write any version because i wanted to know for win 7/8.1/10 i though there might be 1 thread for all of them

what i'm trying to learn now is creating for myself a USB stick with all versions of windows on it completely updated
    also i want to have all updates available one and for all as i have a few PC's that aren't connected to the internet and i want to update them

thanks for you'r help

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #4 cocachris89, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    If your trying to make a USB stick with all versions of windows with updates and architectures, you'd need a huge USB; 32GB >

Speaking from experience, I think its easier to have dedicated USB sticks for Win 7, 8.1, 10 (I also have office 2010 and 2013 on hand) because it makes things a lot easier, IMHO. The main reason is because if you are updating the WIM constantly, it will grow in size regardless; for example Windows 7 vanilla (without any updates) with x86 and x64 is about 5GB; when you start integrating all 190+ updates, it will grow to 9.5GB approximately. Then add 8.1 on top of that and it may become 15GB, then add Windows 10, about 18GB. That is a huge file. With new updates coming out weekly, the overall size of each version of Windows will grow and effect the size of your AIO.

You would need to know the index # of each version so you don't try to install a Windows 10 update to Windows 7, for example. If you do, it would throw up an error, then you'd need to hunt down the culprit which would waste a lot of time and effort.

You wont be able to use exFAT file system because it doesn't support booting, therefore you'd be limited to FAT32 or NTFS. Then there is the problem with FAT32 not supporting files larger than 4GB, so you'd need to split the WIM into slices of about 3.5GB each. Some people like to use NTFS on USB sticks, however I've had problems with them in the past so I don't use it.

Then there is updating the WIM. If you are doing this regularly, newer updates are released weekly, so you'd need to download them, integrate them, split the WIM, delete the old install.wim files, copy across the new split WIMs and if you are doing this over USB 2.0, it can take up to 15 minutes +.

Phew.... that was a mouthful lol :eek:

4. avi smile

Mar 1, 2015
  5. avi smile

Mar 1, 2015
  6. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #7 cocachris89, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ avi smile, you will always get help on this forum but I think you should go back to basics first start with windows 7 do your first disk then move from there as for telemetry updates not to download then members have posted link but to be honest M$ can always bring out more so could be fighting a loosing battle.

And also even when setting up systems for other people they won't know what updates to avoid :(

8. avi smile

Mar 1, 2015
    #9 avi smile, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    it's my first time that i'm working with AIK so please don't judge me thanks:)

why am i getting access is denied when running this command
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:d:\Images\install.wim
    or even
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>dism

well i forgot to write i'm on Windows 8.1 pro

(maybe after i will have mastered the skills for this i will convert this thread in a comprehensive guide for newbies to windows customization:cool::tasty:)

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007