Seemingly random BSOD's SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION DRIVER IRQL NO LESS THAN EQUAL etc.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by brycemaster, Sep 20, 2014.

1. brycemaster

brycemaster MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2012
    Hi All,

I'm basically at the end of my rope here. My PC is suffering from random BSODs and I cannot narrow down the issue. Before I shell out for new hardware I want to make sure I've tried everything. The BSODs happen during any activity, watching videos, playing games, or when the pc is sat idle, there is no discernible pattern I can see.

I recently upgraded my graphics card, but the BSOD's were happening before that. I have reseated the RAM, tried MEMTEST, checkdisk, and reinstalling windows a few times, but I'm sure I'm missing something!

I also went to my MOBOs manufaturer site and downloaded all the most recent drivers and installed them all, but I have a feeling that the problem is somehow driver related.

Here's my bluescreenview BSODs saved as a text file and a screenshot of speccy for my hardware. I currently run microsoft security essentials, Malwarebytes, and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (with a little help from DAZloader :D)

Please let me know if I've missed anything out, and thanks a ton for taking the time to read this!

View attachment BSODs.txt

speccy.PNG

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Mostly a HDD failure is the culprit, try to narrow down the problem with a diagnostic tool, perhaps a bad sector/s

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I'd try some known good RAM too, seen that error a lot with bad RAM

4. brycemaster

brycemaster MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2012
    I'll run the seatools diagnostic and see how that goes. Thanks!

5. brycemaster

brycemaster MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2012
    Unfortunately I don't have any spare, I'll have to ask around and see if I can borrow some, or just buy some new RAM.

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    If you have more than one module, remove all but one, test that, if it fails again, try a different one, keep trying each one until either you know it's still happening with them all, or you work out which piece is bad

Process of elimination

7. apologized

apologized MDL Addicted

Nov 29, 2012
    try new Graphic Driver ...
    don't use 2 Antivirus

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. brycemaster

brycemaster MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2012
    Graphics Driver is up to date, and I'm only using Microsoft security essentials, Malwarebytes doesn't have active protection or run in the background etc. it's just used to scan for Malware occasionally. I know plenty of people who use both programs and have no issues.

Also, the HDD seatools check returned no issues. :( I'll try doing MEMTEST on the individual RAM sticks, although I've left them scanning altogether overnight a few times in the past and returned no errors with Memtest86+.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Sometimes diagnostic software doesn't return errors yet RAM and/or hdd are faulty, if you could try some spare would be great. After tried the spares if the machine continues to bsod then the next possible suspect is a bad capacitor/s on the motherboard.

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #10 LatinMcG, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    mobo model? bios ver? reset defaults ?
    video card model and driver version ?

sata port in what plug on mobo sata chipset ? unplug unneeded peripherals.. printer, dvd, ext hdd
    change mouse and keyboard.. seen strange issues before with a wifi mouse :p
    os is x64 and more than 4 gb ram ?
    booted hirens or linux on usb and run it for a while ?
    if it still crash in a bootable USB (easy to make pendrivelinux.com YUMI and hirensbootcd.org) then we can eliminate OS .. try new cpu if available or power supply as i see u already changed vid card.
    go to device manager >view menu and check show hidden devices.. look around. for remnants

i always had instability with most MSi since i first got one in 2000 .. so now i use gigabyte or asus and no real issues (unless direct lightning strike at home... left TV purple looking for a week lol)

11. brycemaster

brycemaster MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2012
    My hardware specs are in the screenshot on my original post, which answers a few of your questions.
    The graphics card driver was updated yesterday as a new driver had literally just come out. And again unfortunately I don't have any spare hardware, I'll have to see if I can borrow some. I'll have to give the linux usb a try as well, although I haven't used linux in about 5 years :p

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #12 LatinMcG, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    ok.. try hirensbootcd.. its mini xp.

Z77-D3H bios version ?