send fax from pc over android cellphone

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by avatarsiz, Dec 4, 2015.

1. avatarsiz

Oct 9, 2010
    Hi,

I'm sorry if wrong place for this,

I try to send fax from my PC over android cellphone.

How can I do this?

----------
    NOT:

PC recognize my phone as a usb modem.

But i don't make "dial up connection",

my error is"error 797: A connection to the remote Access server was not made because the modem was not found."

But my cellphone recognized as a usb modem....

2. tli

tli MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2011
    #4 tli, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    :offtopic:

You need a *fax* modem and a POTS line... [not with USB modem and cellular line.]

Google [not enough posts to allow posting links; search the following text for a HowToGeek article that explains]:
    Code:
    how-to-send-and-receive-faxes-online-without-a-fax-machine-or-phone-line
    :offtopic:

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

That's an incorrect info.

He need three things.

#1 A CSD connection (which includes GSM networks)

#2 The provider support ( this is very variable, with some providers the FAX and DATA connections are enabled by out of the box, some requires the activation of te DATA and FAX additional number, some allow the fax connections only on dedicated SIMs

#3 The phone must support them. That's the hardest part nowadays, given we are submerged by the crap american or korean smartphones, and the good European phones with a decent phone section are becoming rare. Anyway any 5+ years old featurephone and some smartphones from Ericsson, Sonyericsson, Nokia, Alcatel, Siemens should work w/o any problem

5. tli

tli MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2011
    Good luck finding 2G service nowadays...

6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    What has to do the 2G service with the argument discussed? :g:

Anyway not sure where you live but here the 2G is not even programmed for a decommission and is still, by far, the most reliably reachable kind of network, although the 4G coverage is nearing to be complete.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I think some Motorola smartphones like the droid 4 has it, disabled trough a build.prop flag (ie. you need to root them to change that flag).

That means you should be able to use them at least as Bluetoth DUN modem to send a FAX using a PC.

I'm not aware of any program that can use that feature directly from the phone, like happened on Symbian S60, UIQ, windows mobile, and other older smartphones.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Disabling 3G/4G on your phone would surely force it to GSM / 2G no?

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #12 T-S, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    Not needed.

CSD connections are possible in 3G just like in 2G. In 3G You can get speeds comparable to a 56K modem v.s. the usual 9600/14400 bps you can reach on 2G. In any case both of them are more enough to send a FAX.

Never tried to do the same in 4G which is (in the standardized flavor) a packet only network, and so even the voice calls are routed via Voip, so I'm not sure if a compatibility layer of FAX and other point to point data connections is taken in account by the accepted flavor of the standard.

10. avatarsiz

Oct 9, 2010
    I will try to find an old cellphone.

thanks to everybody for help.