Serious bug with Avast / Avant Internet Security with Metro Apps (Solution Found)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by robmadden1, Sep 9, 2012.

1. robmadden1

robmadden1 MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #1 robmadden1, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    When you have the behavior shield on it will not let the metro apps run. It will not allow them to open. They close but stay stay running in the background when you try to load an app. Also when you have the firewall on in Avanst Internet Security it blocks the web access to all Metro Apps. Avast has yet to acknowledge the issue and put a fix out for it when it was reported right after update version 7.0.1466 whent live. The version before this did not have this issue.

I dont like the fact that you have to turnj off the behavior shield and firewall to be able to use a Metro App.

Solution for firewall from user hbhb:

sfrausto

Re: Problem with Avast Internet Security and Windows 8
    « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:46 AM »
    Okay, after playing around with my AVAST Firewall settings, I finally got it to work with the apps. Go to your Firewall tab and click Firewall settings. Then click Expert setting in the top right area. Under the Policies tab (first screen) enable Internet Connection Sharing Mode. THAT'S IT!!! it will let you access the network for your apps, without having to disable your firewall for xx amount of minutes. The cool thing, if you're like me and don't want other users to access your skydrive or other apps, just simply uncheck the Internet Connection Sharing and it will block the apps again. =)

Solution for Behavior Sheild:

1. clcik on real time shields
    2. click on behavior shield
    3. expert settings
    4. uncheck "Monitor The System for unauthorized modifications
    5. them click on OK
    now your Metro Apps will work.

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    +One Rob
    I looked into it briefly after seeing a thread about it somewhere, however I don't use Store Apps yet, so didn't bother. I would think like all other firewall, and Avast firewall, the path to the store could be added to safe list but what is the path? I gotta look further more.Lets solve it

3. robmadden1

robmadden1 MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I hope we can find it out so I can add it and just turn the behavior shield off for now untill a fix is released.

4. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    #4 hbhb, Sep 9, 2012
    Ok Rob here you go , somebody figured it out at the avast forum. I tried it , all is good:D

sfrausto

Re: Problem with Avast Internet Security and Windows 8
    « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:46 AM »
    Okay, after playing around with my AVAST Firewall settings, I finally got it to work with the apps. Go to your Firewall tab and click Firewall settings. Then click Expert setting in the top right area. Under the Policies tab (first screen) enable Internet Connection Sharing Mode. THAT'S IT!!! it will let you access the network for your apps, without having to disable your firewall for xx amount of minutes. The cool thing, if you're like me and don't want other users to access your skydrive or other apps, just simply uncheck the Internet Connection Sharing and it will block the apps again. =)

So maybe you can change the title of the thread to Solution found, resolved or something like that

5. robmadden1

robmadden1 MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #5 robmadden1, Sep 9, 2012
    (OP)
    Figured out Behavior Sheild problem.

1. clcik on real time shields
    2. click on behavior shield
    3. expert settings
    4. uncheck "Monitor The System for unauthorized modifications
    5. them click on OK
    now your Metro Apps will work.

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    sounds good man, for now , I think the first solution is the lesser of the two evils:D
    just downloaded my first app/game . Gotta start a thread about that soon

7. FiB3R_OPTiC

FiB3R_OPTiC MDL Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I also found that Avast behavior shield blocks more that metro apps, In fact I never had a problem with metro apps & avast, but I ended up disabling behavior shield completely though for other reasons, so far it has silently blocked exe installers like Winrar and a few others. :mad:

8. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    What's up Fib3r! one more Avast user hein! good to have you man. No prob here with latest AIS, i select manual Sandbox and all ok with exes, well at least the good ones haha
    later

9. mywindows8

mywindows8 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2012
    Did anyone here experience Apps Internet Connectivity issue? All apps are working fine on my activated system and the only problem is like Weather and News Apps are not updating?? Showing OFFLINE on the top right corner!!!