(Serious) bugs in Dutch Office 2010

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Astrill, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Astrill

Astrill MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    #1 Astrill, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    I tested the Dutch version of Office 2010 and noticed several bugs in Word. Some serious, some cosmetic. For other Dutch users it may be useful to check.

Go to: Bestand => Opties => Controle. If you look at Schrijfstijl you'll noticed that the top field is empty (it should read "Strikt" or "Standaard"). If you click the drop down menu you'll notice that other fields are empty too or contain some single letters. If you click Instellingen… => Uitleg/Help you see two error messages, depending on your OS:

Windows XP: Cannot find the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF\msgr_nl.help file. Do you want to try to find this file yourself?
    Fact is that in Office 2010 the link has changed. The file now is located here: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\PROOF\.

Windows Vista: The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which was used in previous versions of Windows and it is not supported in Windows Vista.

These are cosmetic, yet silly bugs. However, they made a complete mess of the Dutch Synoniemenlijst (Thesaurus). In Word 2007 everything was perfect, in Word 2010 it is game over. Try some words and you'll see what I mean.

2. KHdV

KHdV MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    What version did you install? Maybe I can check it out for you.

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #3 Stannieman, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    ö I hope there will be an update soon to fix all this, M$ really made a mess of this if this is true (haven't installed this myself yet, waiting for the real volume iso on msdn).
    Maybe they can fix it now and already include it in the dutch rtm iso which will come out next week if you report it to M$, although I doubt that because the dutch RTM will be a newer build then the other langs then.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Astrill

Astrill MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
  5. Astrill

Astrill MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    I indeed reported it to MS. The problem is that the proofing tools are made by another company: Polderland Language & Speech Technology bv.

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I think it's even possible that the thesaurus bug also affects the spellingchecker then, cause that probably uses the same database, can someone check this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Yup same problem here with the x64 edition.

8. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    OK I think M$ knew the problem already (as they are all surfing MDL :D),

I hope the version you're using isn't RTM but Mondo instead,which has really lots of bugs found in the english version. Honestly, the GA version/RTM should be debugged, wait patiently for that version :p.

9. sleid

sleid MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2007
    For Vista and Seven help files:

Download WinHlp32.exe for Windows Vista
    Download WinHlp32.exe for Windows Seven

It's not a bug.

10. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Retail/RTM version has this problem

11. Astrill

Astrill MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    OK, a glitch, so you like.

They also screwed up the spellingschecker. I copied an article online and pasted it in Word 2010. Word 2010 doesn't know the following words:

bijdehante
    international
    internationals
    journalistenbus

Et cetera. Again, the list is endless. Try some common words and compare it to Word 2007.

It's really a shame that I can't use the Dutch Word 2010/Office 2010 only because Polderland Language & Speech Technology bv. screwed up the dictionary. Geez!

12. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Oooh I don't want to be the one who's responsibel for this

13. ellen

ellen MDL Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Is there already a solution or update for the problems with Thesaurus and Spell check in the dutch version?