[Serious] Need help with identifying potential threat

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Lemarleidyeisk, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Lemarleidyeisk

Lemarleidyeisk MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2018
    #1 Lemarleidyeisk, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2018
    Hi,

First let me just say that this is a serious post and I know that sometimes posts like this one can be seen as troll/memeing but this isn't my intention.

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post. As well as if MDL doesn't deal with this kinda stuff but this is the most tech savy forum I seem to know.

Back in 2016 (july) I installed a preactivated coy of windows 8.1 in n attempt to update to windows 10 for free. I’ve been now using this from back in 2016 till now.
    Recently, one of the people me and wife know have had their private pictures leaked. Finding out bout this my wife started to freak out because we store out private personal pictures on the computer (mentioned earlier). I told her that nothings happened since 1 year so we should be safe, and since I updated the windows 81 preactivated to windows 10, it shouldnt be an issue. I also regularly run scans and of course use an AV. We’re not super tech savy but she thinks that there might be a back door. I’m attempting to disprove this so that we can both be at ease. In truth my wife has started to develop a bit of paranoia (we are seeking counseling) but I too am worried. This would really not help her to clam down, but me as well.

I also fond in my old HDD a windows media creation toll for windows 8.1. So I’m not sure if I used a program to activate a legit ISO and then just upgraded to Win 10. I cant seem to locate the activator so I’m not sure if thats true. =(.

I have the old .iso files for the windows 8.1 I used. I don't remember if I used windows 8.1 or this other windows 7,i have both. I was wondering if there was anyway someone could confirm that they/were safe. Does upgrade to windows 10 essentially we most possibility of there being some sort of backdoor?

I know this is an odd request. I’ve uploaded the .iso files onto google drive here:
    [Don't post homebrew ISOs]

if there’s anyone that could provide any sort ff guidance please let me know. I’m not even sure how someone could test something like this. My wife hasn’t been able to sleep properly for the past 2 days and I have no idea what to do. Ive also begun just like searching our names and stuff in an attempt to see if anything got leaked online…. Nothing so far so thats good.

Thanks

2. rockyanexpert

rockyanexpert MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Get out of paranoia.
    Just use any good anti virus software to be on safe side.
    You can also download latest RS3 1709 and have a fresh install to remove all your doubts.

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #5 kaljukass, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Get out of paranoia.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I simply didn't like that groundless attacks etc. from some members of this forum, and I'm not shy to inform what I'm doing! And if things going too far, as it was in the unedited original post, the attacked/accused member should know that others thinking otherwise!

7. Lemarleidyeisk

Lemarleidyeisk MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2018
    HI,

Thanks all very much for your replies. Sorry I didnt know we shouldnt post random ISOs, apologies. I just bought a legit copy of windows 10 a i can afford it now and will be doing a fresh installation.

However Im still considered if my old stuff was compromised. i have attempted to retrace my steps and was wondering a few things.

my windows 10 activation (the one I\m concerned about) says that its a KAM activation (digital activation). So this is what Im wondering (sorry if this is hard to explain):
    If i had used the preactivated windows 8.1 iso and then updated to windows 10 would it still show KAM activation or would it show something else?
    If i had used the legit 8. iso and used an activator THEN updated to windows 10 would it show KAM still or something else?
    Im just trying to figure out if I used the legit iso or if i used the preactivated one since i dont remember.
    Lastly, i cant seem to find any information on this. even if i had used a comprised 8.1 iso some how, doesn't the update to windows 10 basically rewrite everything?
    I know someone mentioned that using a decent AV would be helpful, and yes I ran different AV on my PC while using it normally and they came up with nothing. so thats good news, but I also read that a compromised iso cannot be detected by AV, not sure if this is true.

Sorry in advance for all the stupid questions, any information would be helpful!

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There many (different) ways pointing to 'Rome" and it's always up to the single user (who is going that way) which one is used.

@:Lemarleidyeisik
    What did you mean with KAM exactly? AFAIK KAM is meaning KKey Account Management! So I think that you talk about KMS (Key Management Service/Server) which is an activation process used for corporate versions of Windows, and for sure by many users who didn't have access to a legit Product Key for the normal private Windows (and Office) activation.

To find out which you'd use to run, you'll need to use all of that different ISO's etc. and test it one by one to find that out.

If I were you, I would think any more about that and be doing just a clean install of Windows 10, without the use of any Product Key and if the Activation would be done automatically without interaction from you, you (or your comp[uter) would have a working HWID. If there wouldn't be an automatic activation, there wouldn't be a working HWID and you could now use a Legit Product Key or a KMS Client App (found on MDL at many places) for to do the activation. That would work, even it's not 100% legal if you didn't have authorized access to a legit KMS Server. By the way, KMS Activation isn't controlled by Microsoft.

Also, your questions are not stupid, you sometimes just get some answers WHICH ARE JUST STUPID!

9. rockyanexpert

rockyanexpert MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Copy all your data to external drive.
    Download a fresh copy of Windows 10 iso.
    Install it alongwith drivers and any good av.
    Then copy all your data back to hdd..
    This will remove any worm/virus/exploits if present in your data.
    Be safe.