Serious USB Problem with a High End Windows PC

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by soam, Feb 13, 2013.

1. soam

soam MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2013
    Hi, I assembled a new PC for our Movie and Video Editing Team. The configuration is :

Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro Model
    Processor Intel Core i7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz
    RAM Corsair Vengeance 8x4 GB kit , 32GB total RAM
    Boot Drive Crucial m4 256GB SSD
    Video Storage WD Caviar Green 3 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD30EZRX)
    Case Cooler Master USP100
    Power Supply Cooler Master 750W
    CPU Cooler COOLER MASTER Hyper
    Blu-ray Burner Asus CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Burner
    OS Windows 8 Pro 64Bit
    GPU Nvidia 4GB GeForce GTX 670
    Monitor 24 inch Samsung Monitor LED

Everything works perfect, but there is a serious problem.
    If I connect any pen drive or external hard drive to any of the front or back USB ports, the computer hangs. It doesn't hang at the first instance. As soon as I start to copy or paste something , it starts with a good speed and them goes all the way down to 0 bytes/second and the PC freezes. Then if I take the USB drive, the PC gets back to normal immediately.
    All those USBs which I tried have been used in a Apple iMac before . But I tried 2 brand new pen drives and external hard drive and it works perfect and copies nicely as well.
    But the USB devices which hangs, I even tried formatting it on windows, mac, and everything , but whatever we do, it just doesn't work and hangs. What can be the possible reason ? Is there a way to debug this ? Do I need to ask for Motherboard replacement ?

For example, I just took of the pen drive Sandisk 16GB Cruzer , formatted it on another windows computer , then connected it to this PC. Like always, the windows 8 growl said, there is problem with a drive, click to fix. I clicked it and ran for 1 min and then said, it cannot fix it. I clicked on event details when that error came and I attached the screenshot here. And just then , the PC hangs when I tried opening it from My Computer. And when this happens, the drive on My Computer always changes its disk space view to a blank FAT 32 sort of view. You can see that on my attach screenshot.
    And yes, this only happens with any USB storage device and not keyboard or mouse or speaker USB. Just the old pen drives or external drives. And even if I format, they dont work. Of course, there is no kind of virus thing, since Windows 8 is loaded with Windows Defender. So, let me know, how to deal with this now ?

I have put on a lot of money on this and this problem is driving me crazy already.

2. soam

soam MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2013
    I did not install anything from the Asus mother board CDs .

I simply installed Windows 8 and I assume, Windows 8 auto installs all the drivers everything.

So, what to do now ?

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    bingo: This is your problem !!! You MUST use the manufacturer's latest drivers for you machine and only then you can ride it perfectly :D

4. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    Install Windows 7 on a second partition and check if you have the same problem

You should not have this problem since this motherboard is Windows 8 Ready

5. soam

soam MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2013
    Sorry I forgot to attach the 2 files. Error.jpg Fat-32.jpg

6. soam

soam MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2013
    Yes thats right and I dont want to again spend on Windows 7.

Do you mean Device Manager ?

I got two DVDs . When I click on Auto Run, it opens on chrome with a html page with a huge list of mother board names.

7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Further more, I would also check the BIOS is the latest available Version. These days of the New Windows 8 the latest BIOS version are required! So just check with Asus Website about that and if there's a new BIOS available, I would download and update!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. soam

soam MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2013

OK I just updated the BIOS with the EZ Flash 2 tool .

Now its on latest 3305 .

Still those culprit pen drives and external drives freeze.

Whats to do now ?

10. soam

soam MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2013

Downloaded the exe file.

It self extracted into desktop with some files.

What to do with those files ?

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There's is an setup.exe file included, right click on it and Run as administrator

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...