Server 2003 Ent R2/Change the install key associated with a VLK media?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by orangeman, Jan 31, 2013.

1. orangeman

orangeman MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    Hello all. I am new here and I am hoping someone can answer my question. I have searched through the forums and haven't found a solution. I have a valid volume license key for Server 2003 Enterprise R2 32 bit, but no longer have the media. I have downloaded a VLK copy but it installs without prompting for a key and installs with a different key than mine. What I have been doing is installing it and then changing the key afterward in the operating system.
    Is there a way to create a new ISO using that media and have it use my valid key during install or perhaps just prompt for a key? I hate having to change they key every time.
    Thank you for any info you guys can give me on this. :)

Orange

2. egroups_megapics

egroups_megapics MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Check if media has pid.inf and winnt.sif in i386 folder and input your correct product key or delete the existing product key entry so it prompts during installation.

3. orangeman

orangeman MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you!! I will try this today and post the results. :biggrin:

4. orangeman

orangeman MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    I tried this today and it worked like a charm. This has been an irritation and now I have a perfect ISO with my volume license key that installs without having to change the key afterward. The winnt.sif file was the one I had to change. I just deleted the key that was there and added mine.
    I first used WinISO to make the ISO from the CD. Then I extracted the winnt.sif file from the ISO also using WinISO. I editted the key and then added the winnt.sif back to the ISO also using WinISO. Then I burned the ISO to disk and voila! I did a fresh install and verified my key was the one in the OS.
    Thanks egroups_megapics. This saves me a lot of hassle.

Orange

5. egroups_megapics

egroups_megapics MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    good to know it worked for you