Server 2003 Standard - No internet for some clients

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by dorple, Aug 12, 2011.

1. dorple

dorple MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2011
    Hi,

I'm looking after a server for a small charity and have just recently encountered some issues! The server is running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 (directly from System Properties). The server roles include file, print, application, remote access / VPN, domain controller, DNS and DHCP.

Our original set-up was 4 computers (3 x Windows XP, 1 x Windows 7 Pro), 2 network printers and a wireless access point with no more than 2 wireless clients accessing it at any one time. This worked flawlessly, never had any problems.

We recently moved to a larger office and installed some *additional* network equipment, including a network photocopier, 6 x SIP IP phones and 2 x Windows 7 Pro desktops.

Here comes the problem.. We can get *all devices* accessing the network but a maximum of roughly 9 (4 PCs + 4 Phones + 1 Laptop) can access the internet at any one time! If one of the machines has been turned off for a period of time it seems that another machine can then access the internet. They all connect to the server and get correct IP / DNS / WINS information but the extra ones (above 9) just cannot route to the internet.

Is it possible that this is a licensing issue? I believe that the OS comes with 5 Client Access Licences (CALs) and I think we purchased 1 additional licence. Under Control Panel > Licensing the licensing mode for Windows Server seems to be set at "Per Device or Per User". Then under Administrative Tools > Licensing (with our domain selected) on the "Product View" tab it says the following:

Windows Server
    - Per Device or Per User Purchased = 0
    - Per Device or Per User Allocated = 12
    - Per Server Purchased = 0
    - Per Server Reached = 6

This is a bit confusing as it appears that Windows server is operating in both "Per Device or Per User" (12) AND "Per Server" (6) licensing mode??

Any one any ideas? I'm beginning to tear my hair out :( Any help is much, much appreciated. Thanks!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And how do you access the internet?

Some proxy on the server?

Is the server the default gateway for the clients?

Why just not to pass the lot directly to the hardware router (you must have it for Internet connection)?

sebus

3. dorple

dorple MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2011
    One thing I forgot to mention is that this is a 1 NIC server.

@sebus Thanks for the reply. The server is the default gateway for the clients. There is no proxy. The internet connection is via an ADSL modem with DHCP switched off. When you say "pass the lot directly to the hardware router" do you mean allow it manage DHCP etc.? I've heard that Windows Server 2003 doesn't play nice when other "things" handle the likes of DHCP etc..

4. Tr3bg0D

Tr3bg0D MDL Junior Member

May 8, 2011
    It sounds like when you set up your server, it was set up as Per Seat instead of Per Server

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Just make the Server give default gateway the IP of the router (router does NOT have to issue DHCP at all if you do not want it)
    Ofcourse you need to have ADSL router in router (not modem) mode!
    Then the Internet access does not need to even touch the server

sebus