Server 2008 R2 - OEM or VOL (have KMS-key!)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Donald24, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Donald24

Donald24 MDL Novice

Jun 15, 2007
    Hey there,

title says it all. I have a KMS-key, and I'd like to activate W2008R2.

Is the following correct:

The OEM version will activate with a SLIC'd bios and a corresponding key, which isn't out yet?

The VOL version will activate with my KMS-key? Or will it need a local KMS server?

Thanks for putting it straight!

Don

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You can activate with KMS key, but it will be this only copy, if you use this key to activate KMS then you can have more servers avtivated

sebus

3. Julianbl

Julianbl MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi Donald,
    As far as I know, there is no OEM iso yet. I've download two Isos:

MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.2008.SERVER.R2.7600.16385.RTM.X64.OEM.ENGLISH.DVD.iso
    7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_server_en-us_VL-GRMSXVOL_EN_DVD.iso

The first one says OEM but it is retail and the second one is KMS client.

I install them both but couldn’t get them activated with DELLs OEM key (they rejected it).

I'm not sure if there is a way to change the channel of either version to OEM-SLP or if we have to wait for a real OEM iso... so we still have to wait.

Regards,
    Julián

4. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Squire, I downloaded the OEM version of server 2008 r2 and the ei.cfg file when opened, has this written in it:

[Channel]
    OEM

I thought that this determined the version one had?

Thanks.

5. Julianbl

Julianbl MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Squire,
    My iso ie.cfg also says OEM, but, just after install, if I run slmgr -dlv, it says:
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Name: Windows Server(R), ServerEnterprise edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), RETAIL channel
    Partial Product Key: D7P97

So I don't really know what makes it OEM. I think it's the key, but the dell's oem does not work.

Julián

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    keys make the version. Right now the only keys I have seen that are legit are the eval keys posted a few posts down. There might be some default KMS keys out but those will not activate online they need a KMS server with a valid KMS key and a certain number of hosts. KMS keys can be activated unlimited times they are as good as Windows 5.x VOL keys, the only way to get KMS keys is to have a SA agreement with MS otherwise you get MAK keys. KMS keys are protected like gold by companies and MS, so it is very hard to get legit ones.

ANY version can be activated by a KMS key as long as it is for Std/Ent/Web or DataCenter, DC keys can't be used on Std/Ent/Web and vise-versa.

7. Donald24

Donald24 MDL Novice

Jun 15, 2007
    Thanks for your answers!

I just delved a bit deeper in the KMS-activation thing. For I have KMS-serials for each M$-product on the planet (from my old company), I should be able to do something with them...

You need 5 (active?) server-hosts, or 25 workstation hosts (vista, win7) to make the KMS-server begin to act, and activate the machines. From my understanding this machines can contact the KMS-server one after another, so you don't have to have 5 server or 25 wks online at the same time...

Every 180 days the KMS-server is contacted again for a renewal of the activation, so I might think, that if a least those hosts should have contacted the KMS or the service becomes unable again because of reaching the minimum hosts threshold.

Only hosts are counted, that are not virtual, but I do not think, that Win2k8R2 is aware of running inside VMWARE, or is it? Would be pulling up 5 Win2k8R2 VMs then....

Does the KMS-server itself need connection to the internet an M$-Servers?

Thanks again,

Don

8. radx

radx MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    So if you want to run a Windows Server 2008 R2, today.. What is your best choice? My mobo is already modified with Dell Slic2.1.. Any ideas? :)

9. The_Dude

The_Dude MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    No choice except the 180 day evaluation key for the moment. SLP keys have not been leaked yet, but once they are SLIC will do it ;)

10. radx

radx MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Ah, Ok Thanks for the heads up.

So if i want to install the evolation version now of Win srv 2k8 R2 x64..What release would you guys recommend then? Is it safe to use Retail version if you want to be able to activate it later using Slic2.1 + cert & key?

11. The_Dude

The_Dude MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Evolation? :D

But yeah, that's it. Just use the evaluation key for now, and switch over to SLP key as soon as they bekome available. After all that gives you 6 months of time, should be plenty enough!

And just on a side note, R2 runs like a charm, best OS ever! Just don't see the fairness in wanting 2008 customers to AGAIN pay the full price for a follow up product. Sorry MS, but you really do deserve being cheated on for that ;)

12. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I am 99.9% sure that the non-recognition of virtual machines to count toward the activation threshold was removed in W7/2008R2, and possibly in SP2 of Vista/2008.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. home

home MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
  14. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Its funny how Microsoft said its a 180 evaluation but under the descriptin it reads that it can only be ream 5 time (10 days each), I installed it and the initial grace period is only 10 days...

15. lnatan25

lnatan25 MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2008
    What? :confused:

If you activate with an evaluation key, your activation will be valid for 180 days.

16. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008