Server 2008 R2 OEM SLP Keys & Certs

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by The_Dude, Jul 31, 2009.

1. The_Dude

The_Dude MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Greetings guys!

Since some OEM info has already leaked for Win7, I would have thought the same to happen for 2008 R2, yet I can't find anything yet.
    Am I just blind or are they really not out there yet?

Cheers, any info is greatly appreciated!

2. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    It takes a year for OEM keys of 2008 to be leaked. So, what do you think? :cool:

3. Simon77

Simon77 MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    I heard M$ guards such OEM W2008 info with their lives and someone usually will lose their jobs &/or sued for releasing such keys. They sign very tight contracts. And very few are released & are all traceable to the source.

4. The_Dude

The_Dude MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, since they were leaked for 2008 I'm quite positive it'll eventually happen for R2 as well. Still have 177 days to wait, surely something will surface within that timeframe :)

5. Simon77

Simon77 MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    #5 Simon77, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    We just need to wait for a "disgruntled" employee from Dell, HP, etc... who will be investigated & sued to hell by their employers as well.. Reminds me of the iPhone employee who lost a prototype and forced to leep from his apartment -- rather die than face Foxconn & Apple's wrath. Relatives got a few thousand dollars & the girlfriend was promised a new Mac laptop which she never/afraid to pick up.

6. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    AFAIK

The OEM-SLP keys and certs dont need to be leaked from any employees of either MS or the OEM partners.

After the release anybody buying (or passing by) one of the products installed with OEM versions will be able to leak this info for the community.

Exactly what happened with server 08... It too awhile but it happened.

7. Simon77

Simon77 MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    That's the trouble with Server certs/keys, it's much fewer # of installs and fewer people have access to them servers, and the company will most often co-operate with MS in the investigation. The fear factor works as well!

8. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    For that matter someone could purchase a Dell/HP Server (Not me :cool:) running 2008 R2 for a "Company Project" then return after making an image of the drives and a copy of the OS Media that should come with it.

Same could and im sure will end up happening with Windows 7 Laptops once they hit the shelfs which will be in less then 180days from now.

Just my .02 cents

MC

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Yes, but the problem is that you are talking close to $3000 or more for Enterprise at least. Standard and Web are less but Datacenter is even more than the $3000. The best thing to do is find 5-7 people you trust and get a technet plus or MSDN subscription. The subs for those are about $300 or less if you scour the net for coupons. So 5-7 people is < $60 the more people you get.

10. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Actually the best thing is to work as a consultant for a corporate customer who just ordered a set of Hyper-V hosts running DataCenter, and will be getting some 2008R2 DataCenter KMS keys once we get everything in place and order the licenses. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    How many OEM-SLP keys do the Server vendors such as HP and DELL have for a single 2008 or 2008R2 edition, say, STD/ENT? How can the leaked keys be used to trace back to the one who leaked it?

12. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    MS gives a vendor only 1 (one) SLP key for each edition of any OS. there's no reason to give, say, two. If for example HP would ship only a dozen of servers with pre-installed DataCenter edition of s2k8, then i suppose there'll be a small chance to trace it if slp key gets leaked. The more machines they ship - the less will the chances be. But I don't think anyone would even care to trace a leaked SLP key after it's on the market.