Server 2008 R2 RAID5 -- Moving backward to Server 2003 DC

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ruggieroav, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ruggieroav

ruggieroav MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    Hi all,

Been a lurker here for a while, and love this forum; helped me many times. I have some questions about Software RAID 5 in Windows Server 2008 R2, and the eventual move of the entire array to a down-rev Windows Server 2003 Datacenter machine.

- I have 4 3TB hard disks in a port multiplier eSATA enclosure. On my 'home' Server 2008 R2 machine, all disks were initialized as GPT, then converted to Dynamic, then a RAID5 array was created. Had some initial trouble with disks dropping during the creation, until I enabled SSC on each of the disks, using a 'legacy jumper' on each drive.

- Was surprised that even though the disks were "blank", there is still a bit of 'resynching' going on. This was approximately 8 hours ago, and it is now 15% done. I am guessing it should be completed by the weekend, if I'm lucky - LOL. (I have read about long resync times with software RAID, so I am not concerned too much except I have also read at least once that a blank array should not resync at all, until data is copied -- IS THIS NORMAL?) I am guessing this sync is because I attempted to create an array multiple times?

- If and once this eventual resync completes, I would like to shut the server down, disconnect and power down the enclosure and pack it up for a move. This enclosure will then be connected to a SATA controller on a second server running Windows Server 2003 Datacenter with SP2.

- This enclosure will not be used for OS files, only data. Will the entire RAID5 array be shown in Windows Server 2003 disk manager? (I wish I could simulate this somehow, and I know the ultimate test will be when I hook it up at its new home, but I am wondering if anyone has done a Dynamic Disk/RAID move between machines like this.

Thanks to anyone and everyone for your time!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    The time it takes IS (sadly) normal

As if that is going to work when moved... probably not (but I might be wrong, I never actually attempted such move)

Why not buy proper hardware RAID card?

sebus

3. ruggieroav

ruggieroav MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks Sebus,

Yes, I have learned a great deal about patience when working with RAID rebuilds. As stated above, I am surprised about the initial rebuild.

As for not going with hardware RAID, this is not my choice. The company I am doing this for is looking to save money, and this is an addition to an existing server on a mobo that will have SATA, but not RAID. This also allowed me to test first at home, and at least provide a proof-of-concept, however lame. :)

I am hoping the entire array is recognized, assuming the controller on the other server's mobo is compatible. The sata controller is a Silicon Image 3114, and it actually MAY support RAID, but it would be most likely software-based anyway. I have to look closely at the boot / bios screens on that server...

Just clarify - I should have no problems using the 3TB disks as data disks in Server 2003 Datacenter, right?

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If the hardware supports it, then OS will, but the disks will have to be GPT (as MBR can only be 2 TB)

You can get SATA PERC RAID on fleebay for £20, so the money is not an excuse!

sebus

5. ruggieroav

ruggieroav MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    Sebus,

Thank you again - going to try the migration on Monday or Tuesday... if the array is recognized on 2003 as it is on my 2008 box, then I'll be happy for now - I am also going to look into the possibility of hardware RAID on that server; as I said it may already be present.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Unlikely, on the plain mobo you will most likely have pseudo-raid for mirror at most
    Good luck & report back the results

sebus

7. ruggieroav

ruggieroav MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    Just getting back to this thread now! Other projects were accelerated earlier, so this storage move was put off until today. So... the RAID array I created in Server 2008 was NOT recognized. IN FACT, on the new server, running an add-on SIL3512 controller, only the FIRST "slot" in the enclosure was recognized. That is, drive 1 was recognized as a 2.7TB drive... cool! Now, if I moved drive 2 into that first slot, then IT was recognized. I BELIEVE the issue is with the 3512 CONTROLLER. Can anyone confirm this?

There are 3 OTHER 1TB drives running on an add-on SIL3114 controller; would replacing the 3512 with another 3114 card work? Oddly enough I think the 3512 controller is OLDER than the 3114.

Let me know!

8. ruggieroav

ruggieroav MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    Update. I still have the SILICON IMAGE 3114 controller in the server running the 3 1TB disks. But I scrapped the 3152 and idea for the second 3114. I then purchased a NEW 4-port PCI-X eSATA controller, based on Silicon Image 3124. The port-multiplier enclosure is running off ONE port. Running perfectly under Windows 2003 software RAID-5. Took over a week to sync everything, with approximately 11% done per day; it would have been faster, but they started copying data to it before the initial re-sync was done. Whew!

Overall, the client happy, and that he is budgeting for a second 4-drive enclosure which can run off a second port. In theory he could have 3 more 4-drive arrays! What's more, if we decide to go full hardware RAID with the original enclosure/drives this second enclosure and drives will work as a backup unit to move data.

Thanks!