Server 2008 R2 vs. Windows Home Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by TheDevilYouKnow, Nov 17, 2009.

1. TheDevilYouKnow

TheDevilYouKnow MDL Junior Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I was wondering what the advantages or disadvantages of using either package in a home environment might be given the release of Windows 7. I currently have W7 64 bit Ultimate installed on my Desktop PC, Home Theatre PC, and Laptop...While my girlfriend has Vista 64 Home Premium on her Desktop PC, XP Home SP3 on her laptop and on her other desktop. I am building a box with use as a server in mind (4 gB RAM,2 TB storage) and am curious as to what would be best to run the whole setup with.

A few things to consider are:

1) How much overhead does Server 2008 R2 require? Is it
    configurable/scalable down to home usage requirements
    or is it just a monster designed for server farms?

2) Windows Home Server is 32 bit and built on Server 2003 (kinda...lol) but
    has it's own SP3 coming out soon that is supposed to enhance its
    compatibility with W7 etc.,etc...Should I go for that or wait and see if
    MS does a rebuild of WHS based on Server 2008 R2 or something?

3) Could anyone PM me a link to an ISO of WHS to experiment with please?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. jay9055

jay9055 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2008
    Actually, I suggest SBS 2008. Its a good midpoint between full blown Sever 2008 and WHS. SBS has the advantage of being easy to setup and includes your very own exchange server...and it only requires 4GB of RAM.

3. eshield

eshield MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2009
    #3 eshield, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eshield

eshield MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2009
    #4 eshield, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    I believe that SBS is a REALLY bad choice. It has the same core as 2008 SP2. Do you need an additional headache? R2 already has an OEM:SLP key for Std edition =_=

This is IMHO too =)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it depends on how smart you are when it comes it DNS/DHCP/LDAP. If you don't understand how to setup and administer a domain it will cause you more issues than it will help.

If you are just looking for central storage then use WHS. If you are actually looking for a networked environment with everyone having different permissions and unique logins, and things like that then go with 2008 R2.

SBS is a joke. If you need multiple servers then go with Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 or VMWare ESXi and virtualize everything.

I have a fully virtualized environment with HA and failover and it works great, but I am also a MCITP: Enterprise admin, so you need to scale your environment to your needs.

Simple Sharing and Streaming: WHS - x86 only so you are limited to only 3.5 gb of RAM

Advanced Permissions, logins that work for all PCs in your environment, group policy, virtualization - Server 2008 R2

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Buy Qnap or Synology or Thecus NAS

All in one nice, small box with nice easy Ajax GUI

sebus

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    well for streaming purposes and sharing purposes... WHS is better in that regard

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Sorry, but from personal experience it definitely is not. Also depends what you stream to.
    If you stream ie to Popcornhour then Synology is definitely way to go

sebus

9. gunny2k9

gunny2k9 MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Tried Windows Home Server ..... its ok i found ye great easy to use but that its based on Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edtion anyone looking to use it as a full blown server turn away as once you start trying to add ur stuff u can start to break it ...... with it based of Server 2003 (means old tech so good and bad in that for me i like the uptodate so was looking at 2008 but at the end of the day ...

If u have 64Bit capable hardware and its going to be a server why the hell would you want 32bit OS .....

i made my own server 1.6Ghz Pen Dual Core, 2gb ram 667, asus intel g43..... stuck Windows Server 2008 R2 on and its ace ..... used Windows 7 64bit drivers and system runs sweet as a nut, PHP5+IIS7.5, Network Sharing drives, FTP Server, MySQL, TVersity (Streaming, TESTING THIS OUT), Firefly, Apache+PHP5 and a few other things,.....want to buy a few 1TB green power disks, yes my aim was use spare gear and try for as low power as i could

10. KLF

KLF MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Drive Extender.

11. TheDevilYouKnow

Oct 27, 2009
    I think Gunny 2k9 has convinced me to roll with Server 2008 R2...Honestly I think I'd rather be using 64 bit software any ways and since it's going to be a learning experience any way I might as well learn something...lol!

Thank you all very much!

12. TheDevilYouKnow

Oct 27, 2009
    Where is everyone aquiring thier Windows Server 2008 R2 anyway?

would anyone be so kind as to PM me a link if possible?

Thanks!

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Trial from MS & the key from stickies?

sebus

14. gti-guy

gti-guy MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    this is a big plus for whs and those who use it primarily for storage & sharing

though i'm hoping they make a R2/7 based whs

15. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That could make sense

And drive extender as much as it great, it can be deadly...

sebus

16. gti-guy

gti-guy MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    out of curiosity, how can it be deadly?

17. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    When something goes wrong, your data goes with it, there is no recovery (as opposed to ie RAID)
    Convienient, but I would simply not use it for anything that that is vital
    (nor would I recommend using it - but I would recommend a proper NAS unit)

sebus

18. gti-guy

gti-guy MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    when something goes wrong? one of the main purposes of DE is to replicate data (which you choose) to multiple disks.

I actually use it for very important data.

19. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    It is your choice...

I still prefer proper hardware RAID, sure one needs to understand more, but "you get what you pay for" (like with everything)

sebus

20. gti-guy

gti-guy MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    I do understand, but you are not any more protected with raid than you are with DE.

how would "you get what you pay for" apply in this case anyway?